Just built my first system but:

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I'm afraid to turn it on, LOL. I get this feeling that I forgot to do something and if I turn it on something bad will happen?

let me ask some questions here:

1: When hooking up a sata II HDD I noticed that there were some different connectors then I was used to in the back, I connected the cable that came with the Motherboad to the back of the HD to the Mobo to the 1st sata II connector then one of the flat power connectors, was there anything else I was suppsoed to do there?

2: I had to daisy chain my CD/Dvd-rom and my burner together with the same ribbon cable, on these optical drives is there anythign else to connect other than the ribbon cable and the power? I installed a creative labs X-Fi Music card but it didn't come with a cable so I'm not sure If I was supposed to connect a cable to the Cd/Dvd drive or not for the audio?

3: when installing the video card into the PC-16 slot I noticed that it had a lever but what was that for because when I tried to move it to lock the card in it didn't like that so I left it alone :p.

4: Oh and do I need to mess with the jumpers on the 2nd CD drive in the line like in the past? I figure this to still be a yes? Anyone know what the slave settings are for a Benq 1650Bk are?

I made sure to use the standoffs for the motherboard etc? Nothign else I can think of really except maybe I might have missed connecting power to something but I doubt it, it's not as hard I I had made it out to be in my mind.

Thanks for the help.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Question:

I just turned on the system and got nothing at all no power from the power supply the power supply fan never turned, no noised from the PSU nothing? I guess that this means the PSU is dead right? There is no way to install the PSU incorrectly is there?

Thanks in advance.

Hersha

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Did you try flipping the rocker button on the back?
Are you sure your power button in pluged into the right pins on you mobo and make sure the ATX cable is properly seated.

1: When hooking up a sata II HDD I noticed that there were some different connectors then I was used to in the back, I connected the cable that came with the Motherboad to the back of the HD to the Mobo to the 1st sata II connector then one of the flat power connectors, was there anything else I was suppsoed to do there?
Sounds like you did everthing right to me.

2: I had to daisy chain my CD/Dvd-rom and my burner together with the same ribbon cable, on these optical drives is there anythign else to connect other than the ribbon cable and the power? I installed a creative labs X-Fi Music card but it didn't come with a cable so I'm not sure If I was supposed to connect a cable to the Cd/Dvd drive or not for the audio?
As long as ur running xp you dont need to.

4: Oh and do I need to mess with the jumpers on the 2nd CD drive in the line like in the past? I figure this to still be a yes? Anyone know what the slave settings are for a Benq 1650Bk are?
Whats the pin layout on you Drive for a pin setup like :::. its usually a horizontal jumper at the bottom left 2 pins for slave.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Are you sure your power button in pluged into the right pins on you mobo and make sure the ATX cable is properly seated.

Whats the pin layout on you Drive for a pin setup like :::. its usually a horizontal jumper at the bottom left 2 pins for slave.

But even so the fan should come on in the PSU regardless shoudln't it? I mean all I have to do I bolt the PSU into the case and turn it on to have the PSU fan come on don't I? Or are you telling me that if I have something hooked up wrong the power supply won't turn on at all?

Sorry for sounding stuipd but, I'm getting tired now and getting a little punchy.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

BTW yes everything was hooked up correctly and connected to te right spot, I went to the PC Power & cooling web site & it had a test I could do to see if the PSU was dead or not. It was.

Kind of sucks to go thru all of this for the very first time to end up with a DOA PSU, very anticlimatic if you know what I mean? Now I have to wait a whole week before I get another PSU in & connect it back up and then see what this new system can do. Of course these things always happen on a Friday afternoon.

I was a hesitant when I first opened that box from Newegg and saw that the PSU box had already been opened and was full of those little packing peanuts.

Did you make sure the power switch wires were connected to the front panel block on the motherboard correctly? If not, you may have just connected the switch to the motherboard the wrong way which made it seem like the PSU was dead.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Did you make sure the power switch wires were connected to the front panel block on the motherboard correctly? If not, you may have just connected the switch to the motherboard the wrong way which made it seem like the PSU was dead.

No idea what you're talking about? Unless youre talking about the case wires and yes I did make sure that those were conected correctly, but thanks.