Zone transfers

Rich

I was wondering if there is a way in dns to go the zones themselves to transfer. Example: I create a qa.nowhere.com zone on the primary server is there a way to transfer the zone automatically to the secondary dns server. Or does ms dns only transfer the contents of zones not the zones themselves. Running 2k3 server on both ends.

"Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering if there is a way in dns to go the zones themselves to
transfer. Example: I create a qa.nowhere.com zone on the primary server is
there a way to transfer the zone automatically to the secondary dns server.
Or does ms dns only transfer the contents of zones not the zones themselves.
Running 2k3 server on both ends.

Usually we think of the "contents of the zones" as being the
same thing as "the zones themselves" so I presume you wish
to auto-configure the secondaries from a Primary?

Creating a secondary (on another server) for every Primary
zone on a source DNS server?

You will have to write script -- or adapt one of the scripts
that is offered on these newsgroups and elsewhere to do this.

DNSCmd would work, but there is a poster here who has
built a script that does 90% of the work.

--
Herb Martin