Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

POST Running Slow / Invalid System Disk (Fixed)

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Western Digital
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2006 9:39:14 PM

Western Digital 200GB HDD ATA133
Some Gigabyte MOBO (I forget the model got it like 3 yrs ago.)
P4 3.0Ghz Processor
2GB Ram
GeForce 6800GTX 512mb (I think.)
SB Audigy 1 Platinum

Ok just recently i removed one of my hard drives from my computer to make an external USB drive with it. After i had done that whenever i try starting my computer POST started taking abnormaly long to run and I started getting the Invalid System Disk error with my main HDD.

I check to see that I hadnt removed the wrong HDD on accident. I hadnt.(Loaded Knoppix Disc and all the stuff that should be on the HDD was there.)

Next I tried a repair of the XP install. Didnt work.

Then I tried a complete reformat of the drive and sadly still didnt help.

Checked the Jumper settings on the drive. Tried it in Master and CS didnt help.

So im about at the point of swaping things out to see whats broke and i really dont wanna do that if i can help it.

Anyone have any ideas as to the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

More about : post running slow invalid system disk fixed

August 11, 2006 9:55:31 PM

Have you tried to put the remaining drive on the other ide connector of the ata cable?

Is it attached to the primary ide controller?

Did you set your BIOS for the new HDD configuration?

1 HDD is outta there the other should be set as primary master in BIOS.....

Boot sequence should say HDD 0 as first HDD boot device ( of course no problem making floppy and/or cd/dvd drive first boot device) But since you had 2 HDD's.......HDD 0 relates to primary master.
August 11, 2006 10:02:39 PM

Quote:
... I started getting the Invalid System Disk error with my main HDD.

I check to see that I hadnt removed the wrong HDD on accident. I hadnt.(Loaded Knoppix Disc and all the stuff that should be on the HDD was there.)

Next I tried a repair of the XP install. Didnt work.

Then I tried a complete reformat of the drive and sadly still didnt help.

Checked the Jumper settings on the drive. Tried it in Master and CS didnt help....

What else do you have in your system (sounds like at least an optical drive or a floppy drive)?
Was the removed hard drive connected to the same ribbon cable as the drive still there? Is the remaining hard drive connected to the end (not middle) connector on its cable? Have you tried using a different cable? Have you verified the cable is plugged in properly to the MB IDE header?

What do you mean by "all the stuff that should be ..."?
What exactly happened when you tried a repair install of XP?
What exactly happened when you tried to reformat the hard drive?
Related resources
August 11, 2006 10:07:22 PM

Quote:
Have you tried to put the remaining drive on the other ide connector of the ata cable?

Its currently attached to the Primary master so that would be silly.

Quote:
Is it attached to the primary ide controller?

Yes it is. PM=HDD PS=None SM=DVDROM SS= CD Burner.

Quote:
Did you set your BIOS for the new hard configuration?

No real need for that as i have all the IDE slots set to Auto. but i did try turning off the PS detection that didnt help.

Quote:
1 HDD is outta there the other should be set as primary master in BIOS.....

Thats what POST returns and how its hooked up.

Quote:

Boot sequence should say HDD 0 as first HDD boot device ( of course no problem making floppy and/or cd/dvd drive first boot device) But since you had 2 HDD's.......HDD 0 relates to primary master.

Current boot sequence is CDROM->HDD0.
August 11, 2006 10:13:39 PM

Quote:

What else do you have in your system (sounds like at least an optical drive or a floppy drive)?

DVD-Rom and CD-Burner

Quote:
Was the removed hard drive connected to the same ribbon cable as the drive still there? Is the remaining hard drive connected to the end (not middle) connector on its cable? Have you tried using a different cable? Have you verified the cable is plugged in properly to the MB IDE header?

1. Yes it was on the same ribbon.
2. Yes the remaining drive is Primary Master.
3. Havent tried that yet as its unlikely since the cable has worked fine for the past 2 yrs. Will try it in a bit.
4. Yes i have checked that the cable is plugged in properly on both ends.

Quote:
What do you mean by "all the stuff that should be ..."?

All the system files are there. In short everthing is there that is needed to run XP.

Quote:
What exactly happened when you tried a repair install of XP?

The repair process worked with out a hitch but didnt fix the Invalid System Disk error.

Quote:
What exactly happened when you tried to reformat the hard drive?

Same as Above answer. I thought the MBR might be messed up but since i did a full format and that didnt help that cant be the issue.
August 11, 2006 10:17:04 PM

not as silly as it sounds to you....I think you did not understood the question or I was not being clear on this....

If both drives where connected to the same Primary IDE controller.

But like you said........The drive shows in post as primary master so indeed it is connected correctly.

It is possible though what mondoman said....but i got a feeling you checked that to.......that the connector to the mainboard has maybe come out a bit when you took the other drive out.

Mondo man also had some good questions......What did happen with the re format and reinstall of XP?....ow ok.....read it.....
August 11, 2006 10:19:18 PM

FDISK / MBR ???
August 11, 2006 10:24:14 PM

ZOMGZ i lubs you aristotelus thanks for suggesting replacing the cable cause thats what the problem was.
apparent the cable was screwed up or something cause i pul g a new one and and it worked like a charm.
Plus i got to relive the pain in the ass that is plugging those cable in on my mobo. :x
I really need to stop working on my computer at 1am lol i might have thought of changing that if i wasnt so tired i think. maybe not tho lol.

Edit: And i was kinda hoping there was something wrong with my mobo to so id have an excuse to buy a new one. I have not 1 Small annoying fan on my mobo but 2!

Its kinda odd tho as i was able to back up all the stuff on the drive before formatting with knoppix. oh well
August 11, 2006 10:30:47 PM

Well you did came up with it yourself cause no one suggested that yet....hahahahahhahahaha

But hey.......kudoos....its working again
August 11, 2006 10:33:22 PM

Put a teaser to the mainboard and you not only have a excuse to change out the mobo......but memory and CPU and maybe the rest of your system to......

Although stating it was a accident could become rather difficult...........Maybe very very VERY local thunderstorm???
August 11, 2006 10:39:12 PM

I think it's a bios problem too. Make sure to set the main os drive as the main boot.
August 11, 2006 10:40:24 PM

ehh hasnt rained in like 2 months so that wont work.

I just wanna replace the mobo so a taser wont work either.

Oh well ill just build an entierly new comp when i can afford it lol.
August 12, 2006 1:34:05 AM

That taser might actually work, then call the power company and claim a power surge :twisted:
August 12, 2006 1:49:49 AM

Hmmz......Guessing a defibrillator to jumpstart the dam thing is out of the question to then.........

Well luckily your comp seems to be up to the task to give you an other year or 2............

Hope it aint in a black casing though........although there is no difference in the inside compared to white cased computers there seems to be this active group....CCC........(computer crashers clan)........hunting down black cased computers....

Which in it self is a bad thing......but try explaining that to your insurence guy......

Dont worry....its almost 4 am now......other than that i am quite healthy thank you
August 12, 2006 7:08:17 PM

Oh noz whatever shall I do. My comp is in a Lian-Li 65B (Black). 8O Better go scrounge me up some pink spray paint. :wink: