Acive directory Forward Lookup Zone

Folks,

I have a simple clarification.
I am trying to figure the difference between active
directory integrated forward zone file to the standard
primary one . If I just have one Internal DNS server can I
have it set up as standard primary. Also I have a ISP
doing External DNS. Where is the dns active directory
integrated forward lookup file stored.

Thanks
Zoya
2 answers Last reply
More about acive directory forward lookup zone

    "Zoya" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    >
    > I have a simple clarification.
    > I am trying to figure the difference between active
    > directory integrated forward zone file to the standard
    > primary one .

    The technical difference is that the records are physically
    stored in AD instead of in ordinary text (zone) files.

    (It really has nothing to do with "forward" or "reverse" as
    either can be AD Integrated or Primary etc.)

    > If I just have one Internal DNS server can I
    > have it set up as standard primary.

    Yes, or as an AD Integrated -- most of the advantages appear
    with multiple DNS servers though.

    There is ONE major advantages that get even with one DNS
    DC: Secure Dynamic Updates are only available if you use
    AD Integrated.

    > Also I have a ISP doing External DNS.

    And you should generally leave that separate AND at the ISP.

    > Where is the dns active directory
    > integrated forward lookup file stored.

    In AD, on your internal DC(s).

    Are you using the "same name" for the external and internal
    versions of you DNS domain/zone?

    If so you need to understand the concept of a "Shadow DNS",
    aka, "Split DNS."

    It is REALLY two zones with the same name -- you will have
    the ISP running the EXTERNAL zone with a single primary etc.

    AND you will have an INTERNAL only version of the zone
    running it's own Primary (or AD Integrated) DNS server(s).

    These will never replicate with each other -- which is what
    you want.

    You will therefore need to add all external entries to the internal
    DNS MANUALLY -- and anytime you make changes -- so that
    internal users can reach the external resources you own.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Thanks
    > Zoya
  2. DNS FILE IS STORE IN SYSTEM32
    DNS FOLDER
    BACKUP FOLDER
    DNS FILE IS STORE IN THAT FOLDER

    MY NAME IS MUNIB AKHTAR

Internet Service Providers Microsoft DNS Active Directory Windows