Adding Host and CNAME records with the same name

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Is there a reason we do not allow the creation of Host and CNAME records
that have the same name? I was told that you can do this in BIND (But I have
not verified this).

Thanks!

In news:%23g9m$cZVEHA.3944@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Bob <bob@bob.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> Is there a reason we do not allow the creation of Host and CNAME
> records that have the same name? I was told that you can do this in
> BIND (But I have not verified this).
>
> Thanks!

You CAN make mutliple same names in DNS. After all, that's how Round Robin
works, just give each name a different IP. Curious, who told you that?

Anyway, is there somethng specific you're trying to setup that you need a
hand with or have a question on?

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

I'm thinking he already has an A record named xyz and he's now trying to
create xyz as an Alias in the same zone. At least that's the way I read it

--
Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection
www.akomolafe.com
Yesterday? -anon

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:#CE5LlbVEHA.2816@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23g9m$cZVEHA.3944@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Bob <bob@bob.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> > Is there a reason we do not allow the creation of Host and CNAME
> > records that have the same name? I was told that you can do this in
> > BIND (But I have not verified this).
> >
> > Thanks!
>

> You CAN make mutliple same names in DNS. After all, that's how Round Robin
> works, just give each name a different IP. Curious, who told you that?
>
> Anyway, is there somethng specific you're trying to setup that you need a
> hand with or have a question on?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace
>
> Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
> rights.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
> Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
>
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
> pig. --
> =================================

In news:utUyH%23bVEHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Deji Akomolafe <deji@REMOVEPADDINGakomolafedotcom> posted their thoughts,
then I offered mine
> I'm thinking he already has an A record named xyz and he's now trying
> to create xyz as an Alias in the same zone. At least that's the way I
> read it

Good read. Then it can't do it. However, never tried it manually in the zone
file.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

B> Is there a reason we do not allow the creation of
B> Host and CNAME records that have the same name?

Yes.

AF> However, never tried it manually in the zone file.

The server _should_ warn about erroneous/useless "zone" file contents.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:47:54 -0700, "Bob" <bob@bob.com> wrote:

>Is there a reason we do not allow the creation of Host and CNAME records
>that have the same name? I was told that you can do this in BIND (But I have
>not verified this).

My question would be "Why do you need to?"

Jeff