Sign in with
Your question

HDD results seems slow on benchmark test! please help me!

Last response: in Storage
August 11, 2006 10:38:47 PM

i have a wd 250gb 16mb 7200 sataII 3.0gb hd and its on a promise controller card. sata 300 tx2 i think is the model. ne ways i did a benchmark on it using this prog called everest ultimate edition by lavalys. i have the latest ver. and so i did the test for my disks. and like the max speed was like 92MB/s and it was like staying there too..whats the prob? drivers? hardware? configuration? or something else? could also be because my hd is not directly connected to the mobo and that its on a controller instead of direct? cause doesnt the PCI slot make it sloer please help. thanks..and also..my hd led is not going on ne more ever since i installed this hd. and i didnt even touch the connections on the mobo. its just lightly blinking red every sec.

the mobo is an asus a7v333. i know i know i need to upgrade...but i just want to know whats making my hd go at those speeds..and know how i can fix it besides the obvious which is upgrading..and btw when i did the avg access time test or whatever..it was like 13-14ms! instead of 8.9 which WD claims its access time is?! please help me!! :cry:  thanks again
August 11, 2006 10:55:19 PM

Why are using a controller card? Can you not connect the hard drive directly to your motherboard?
August 12, 2006 1:09:41 AM

aw man didnt your read my thread?! haha my mobo..read it..whats it say...thats right..its old...i dont even think they had satas onboard yet at that time..geese i need help...not stupid answers.. =( sorry...
Related resources
August 12, 2006 2:01:43 AM

Sorry I'm not familiar with your mobo, I didn't know it was that old. So you're using SATA on your none-SATA motherboard using a storage controller via the PCI bus, am I correct? Well it's understandable with the slow performance since you're running an older mobo.

I see that it is slow and even with an IDE hard drive can achieve 100Mb/s. So my guess is the problem is the controller card.

Is the drivers of your mobo and controller card up to date? You should check.
a c 145 G Storage
August 12, 2006 2:01:58 AM

the access time are normal... WD gives what they call an average....it is always off....

Are u getting 92 megs/sec out of 1 drive? i would not complain....that looks more like a iterface performace test...
http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html?modelx=33&model1=132&model2=137&chart=32
your drive is the second red bar....its normal....

As for the PCI card. It will limmit you to some extent as it has to share with other PCI devices, however i do not think it will hurt you. I had some the same way and they where fine...

When in doubt grab HDtach and compare to the HDD guide...

hope this helps clear it up....
a b G Storage
August 12, 2006 2:06:03 AM

I tried to read your thread, but I don't speak idiot. Nice punctuation. Leave.
-Brett

"aw man didnt your read my thread?! haha my mobo..read it..whats it say...thats right..its old...i dont even think they had satas onboard yet at that time..geese i need help...not stupid answers.. =( sorry..."
August 12, 2006 2:09:42 AM

Quote:
i have a wd 250gb 16mb 7200 sataII 3.0gb hd and its on a promise controller card. sata 300 tx2 i think is the model. ne ways i did a benchmark on it using this prog called everest ultimate edition by lavalys. i have the latest ver. and so i did the test for my disks. and like the max speed was like 92MB/s and it was like staying there too..whats the prob? drivers? hardware? configuration? or something else? could also be because my hd is not directly connected to the mobo and that its on a controller instead of direct? cause doesnt the PCI slot make it sloer please help. thanks..and also..my hd led is not going on ne more ever since i installed this hd. and i didnt even touch the connections on the mobo. its just lightly blinking red every sec.

the mobo is an asus a7v333. i know i know i need to upgrade...but i just want to know whats making my hd go at those speeds..and know how i can fix it besides the obvious which is upgrading..and btw when i did the avg access time test or whatever..it was like 13-14ms! instead of 8.9 which WD claims its access time is?! please help me!! :cry:  thanks again

well... honestly, your throughput performance and access times seem about right... ...you could try defragging, but beyond that... sata 300 just means that a device over sata 300 can transfer at up to 300MB/s... but your hdd wont be any faster though regardless, it just wont run into a said throughput bottleneck is all

...also, if your promise hdd controller is connected to a 32bit pci slot, the max throughput you could hope for is 127MB/s anyhow... probably closer to 120MB/s after software overhead...

your hdd led wont be being used anymore, since your hdd is no longer going through your onboard controller... unless youve got another hdd or something installed on your onboard controller, causing the led to flicker...

so...

...the intermittant led blinking though is just cuz your hdd is getting accessed repeatedly by a few windows processes more than likely... nothing to worry about really, but it can get annoying...

if you want to see what processes are accessing your hdd, open the task manager, go to the processes tab > then view > select columns > and check off I/O reads, I/O writes, and I/O other... and thatll show whats accessing your hdd
August 12, 2006 2:11:34 AM

Or upgrade your mobo.
a c 145 G Storage
August 12, 2006 2:21:23 AM

why replace a perfectly working board.....

is your card similar to this?

if so you can see the LED(i used the power LED as Sonata II does not need it) by plugging it into the JP1 to the right side....I have this card and it worked great(i do not need it at the moment)....
August 12, 2006 4:34:46 AM

yea its a promise kinda like that but its the sata300 tx2plus i believe. so basically the thing thast making this slow is my pci slot since pci runs slower than 300mb/s sataII? like 66mhz or something? and that its not directly connected onto the mobo? and yes all my mobo and controller drivers are up to date? it doesnt have ne thing to do with jumpers right? and btw i only have one drive connected in my comp and its that wd 250gb i told you about. no others..thanks for all your help so far =)
August 12, 2006 9:20:27 AM

Quote:
yea its a promise kinda like that but its the sata300 tx2plus i believe. so basically the thing thast making this slow is my pci slot since pci runs slower than 300mb/s sataII? like 66mhz or something? and that its not directly connected onto the mobo? and yes all my mobo and controller drivers are up to date? it doesnt have ne thing to do with jumpers right? and btw i only have one drive connected in my comp and its that wd 250gb i told you about. no others..thanks for all your help so far =)

the drive itself is probably only capable of achieving the performance results youve seen so far... maybe 2-3MB/s or so faster at best, but the ~90+MB/s you witnessed, is about as good as that particular drive will get... ...the only way to receive a higher result, is to put it in raid 0 with one or more additional drives... but the single drive you have, is maxed out for its performance, it cant get any faster on its own...

having it be sata300 like it is... would be the exact same as if it was on sata150, or ata133, or even ata100... youll get the same results regardless of if its on your motherboard controller, or over 32bit pci... because the drive itself is not capable of achieving those interface performance limits for constant throughput
August 12, 2006 11:22:16 AM

Wow a ribbon IDE hd controller! that's old school stuff. Never seen for a long time but what the hay if it works then don't fix it right? I guess it's not a gaming rig or is it.
a c 145 G Storage
August 12, 2006 4:14:40 PM

they just put that on for free.... :) 
sata is NO faster then ide for the same drive(so games or not..it dont matter.)....maybe you should go to the harddrive charts and look for your self at transfer rates....

Well what do ya know...the ide gets .1 meg/sec more in that case...Interface Performace means nothing...as the drive can not hold that speed....

@ bluerogue85 - you are fine...the 300mb/s is just marketing... like said maybe u loose 1-2 megs/sec. You will not even miss it.. Now raid can help you out...
!