Need a new reverse lookup zone

I am having a problem with one of our clients whose ISP
is blocking our email.

I have our regular domain name with the MX record being
mail.domainnametoolong.com

We then purchased another domain name which is shorter
and describes our company better, so I also have an MX
record pointing to mail.domainnameshorter.com

Both of these MX records are on the same DNS server.
However, when my W2K domain was setup, it was using
domainnametoolong.com

Now I need a Reverse Lookup for domainnameshorter.com on
my internal DNS server so mail will stop being rejected
to this client. How do I go about doing that? Thanks!!

You need to call your ISP to have this Reverse DNS entry added. No other way
to do it. They will help you with this.....

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Brandon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having a problem with one of our clients whose ISP
> is blocking our email.
>
> I have our regular domain name with the MX record being
> mail.domainnametoolong.com
>
> We then purchased another domain name which is shorter
> and describes our company better, so I also have an MX
> record pointing to mail.domainnameshorter.com
>
> Both of these MX records are on the same DNS server.
> However, when my W2K domain was setup, it was using
> domainnametoolong.com
>
> Now I need a Reverse Lookup for domainnameshorter.com on
> my internal DNS server so mail will stop being rejected
> to this client. How do I go about doing that? Thanks!!

"Brandon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having a problem with one of our clients whose ISP
> is blocking our email.
>
> I have our regular domain name with the MX record being
> mail.domainnametoolong.com
>
> We then purchased another domain name which is shorter
> and describes our company better, so I also have an MX
> record pointing to mail.domainnameshorter.com
>
> Both of these MX records are on the same DNS server.
> However, when my W2K domain was setup, it was using
> domainnametoolong.com

You shouldn't do it that way in general unless the email servers
are truly unique (different programs/processes) and running on
different IP addresses.

All "mail servers" (for multiple domains) should use the same
destination value in their MX records.

firstdomain.com --> mail.whatever.com
seconddom.com --> mail.whatever.com

> Now I need a Reverse Lookup for domainnameshorter.com on
> my internal DNS server so mail will stop being rejected
> to this client. How do I go about doing that? Thanks!!

You can only have ONE value for each PTR record (effectively),
per IP, so you need all the MX records (on the same IP) to point to
the same name.

Then the email server is set to "report" that name to all it's
mail exchange partners.

Note that this is about OUTBOUND EMAIL only, and this
technically has NOTHING to do with the domains/zones you
email server supports for "inbound email."

This is the way ISP's do it even though they might host email for
100s or 1000s or companies they have all of them pointing to
mailX.ispcompany.com etc.

--
Herb Martin

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:07:06 -0700, "Brandon"

>I am having a problem with one of our clients whose ISP
>is blocking our email.
>
>I have our regular domain name with the MX record being
>mail.domainnametoolong.com
>
>We then purchased another domain name which is shorter
>and describes our company better, so I also have an MX
>record pointing to mail.domainnameshorter.com
>
>Both of these MX records are on the same DNS server.
>However, when my W2K domain was setup, it was using
>domainnametoolong.com
>
>Now I need a Reverse Lookup for domainnameshorter.com on
>my internal DNS server so mail will stop being rejected
>to this client. How do I go about doing that? Thanks!!

Have you been delegated authority for the reverse DNS for your IP
range? If not, your ISP will have to do this.

Alternatively, get your client to work with their ISP to allow your
domain to pass.

Jeff