new home pre-wired question

I have a new home that has been pre-wired for both ethernet and phone lines.
In the requests that I made for customization one of them was to have every
room wired for ethernet (in case I wanted to add a computer to that room and
have it wired later on). During the walkthrough I asked the inspector why
some of them were marked with yellow and some with white. I asked if the
yellow meant data and the white meant phone. He told me that they were all
CAT5 and worked with either data or phone signals. Did he just give me a
line? I thought they both had to be wired to the main communications box
differently?

"Jason Gallas" <jgallas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a new home that has been pre-wired for both ethernet and phone
lines.
> In the requests that I made for customization one of them was to have
every
> room wired for ethernet (in case I wanted to add a computer to that room
and
> have it wired later on). During the walkthrough I asked the inspector why
> some of them were marked with yellow and some with white. I asked if the
> yellow meant data and the white meant phone. He told me that they were
all
> CAT5 and worked with either data or phone signals. Did he just give me a
> line? I thought they both had to be wired to the main communications box
> differently?

Sounds like the contractor used CAT5 plugs for both phone and ether. If you
find, for example, 1 white and 1 yellow in each room, then I'd suspect that
one is for phone and one is data. If I had to guess I'd pick white as phone
and yellow but that would be a pure guess. The best way to find out with
out test tools, is to plug a phone into a jack and see if you have dial
tone, assuming that you phones are turned on and connected.

The other way to tell is to find the location where all the wires are
terminated and use a simple tone tool to track down the data and phone lines
in each room. This assumes that the contractor didn't already mare the
lines. Of course as you are doing this you should identify each jack at the
jack and termination point with matching marks (ether a number or a name).

Of course you can always contact the general contractor or the wiring
contractor and ask them to come out and show you what's what.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
:
[...]
: >
:
:
[...]

Yeah, I might just give them a call. Thanks for the advice.

Jason Gallas wrote:

> I have a new home that has been pre-wired for both ethernet and phone
> lines. In the requests that I made for customization one of them was to
> have every room wired for ethernet (in case I wanted to add a computer to
> that room and
> have it wired later on). During the walkthrough I asked the inspector why
> some of them were marked with yellow and some with white. I asked if the
> yellow meant data and the white meant phone. He told me that they were
> all
> CAT5 and worked with either data or phone signals. Did he just give me a
> line? I thought they both had to be wired to the main communications box
> differently?

Nope. If they're all run to a patch panel then they can be used for
either--you just run patch cables to the punchblock for the phones. If
some are run to a patch panel and some directly to the punchblock for the
phones then they can't without some additional effort.

I suspect that one color is connected to the punchblock and the other to a
patch panel.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)