WINS Push/Pull between NT4 and 2K

I have a two part question:

1. I need a Push\Pull relationship between an NT4 WINS server and a Win2K
WINS server. Can this be done?

2. These two WINS servers are on different domains. Can this be done?

We have a corporate WAN with two domains, but we want users from either
domain to be able to login into their DC from any of our sites. I was
thinking if I would replicate the two WINS servers this might do the trick.

Thank,
Kevin

> 1. I need a Push\Pull relationship between an NT4 WINS server and a Win2K
> WINS server. Can this be done?

Sure. WINS is WINS.

If they aren't in the same domain you will have to find
and follow the prescription for "managing both" so that
you will have the authority. Probably ok if one is in a
trusted domain but I haven't done it in a LONG time
cross domain.

> 2. These two WINS servers are on different domains. Can this be done?

See above. (I tend to read top down. <grin>)

> We have a corporate WAN with two domains, but we want users from either
> domain to be able to login into their DC from any of our sites. I was
> thinking if I would replicate the two WINS servers this might do the
trick.

It will arrange for NAME resolution but it will not (in and of
itself) enable the login.

To login from a machine on one domain to an account in another
a TRUST is required.

This can be the normal automatic "domain trusts" in a forest or
if the NT box is part of an external domain (outside the forest)
then an explicity trust from the MACHINE domain to the ACCOUNT
domain.

You will still need name resolution to work, which (since NT is
involved) may involve a mix of both DNS and WINS.

Some machines or services use one; some use the other; and
fail over from one to the other is also possible (which may work
but actually can mask problems which slow everything down.)

--
Herb Martin