intranet/extranet

Hi there!!

I'm very confused about DNS... I'm learning ;-|

1.- I've bought a domain and want to manage it in my own machine to serve
web pages and have an ActiveDirectory domain too, so I have both domains
with the same name "xyz.com".

2.- I have a primary zone "xyz.com" pointing to my DNS server and PDC (a
local intranet with class c subnet 192.168.0...) an a HOST A record pointing
to my public IP "www.xyz.com" inside the primary zone so the web pages are
accesible beyond my intranet. In the intranet everybody connect to the IIS
server with "xyz.com" and over there with "www.xyz.com" to see the pages.

3.- Now I want that clients can connect to the PDC through internet (ADSL)
changing their network ID to a Domain: xyz.com (they put the server public
ip in their primary DNS server). Cause my DNS is pointing to my intranet
(local class c address) everytime they try to connect get an error saying
that everything is ok, the server is reachable but the ips are incorrect,
how can I make a zone with the same domain name public and private?

Thanks in advance.

Jor

oks, forget to send my domain data...

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=basediez.com

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:09:29 +0100, "Jor" <nada@nada.com> wrote:

>I'm very confused about DNS... I'm learning ;-|
>
>1.- I've bought a domain and want to manage it in my own machine to serve
>web pages and have an ActiveDirectory domain too, so I have both domains
>with the same name "xyz.com".

Mistake number one. :)

>2.- I have a primary zone "xyz.com" pointing to my DNS server and PDC (a
>local intranet with class c subnet 192.168.0...) an a HOST A record pointing
>to my public IP "www.xyz.com" inside the primary zone so the web pages are
>accesible beyond my intranet. In the intranet everybody connect to the IIS
>server with "xyz.com" and over there with "www.xyz.com" to see the pages.
>
>3.- Now I want that clients can connect to the PDC through internet (ADSL)
>changing their network ID to a Domain: xyz.com (they put the server public
>ip in their primary DNS server). Cause my DNS is pointing to my intranet
>(local class c address) everytime they try to connect get an error saying
>that everything is ok, the server is reachable but the ips are incorrect,
>how can I make a zone with the same domain name public and private?

A split-horizon DNS can get you around most of this, but as long as
it's a new domain, why not change the internal dom ain to a different
name and solve all your troubles?

Jeff

> A split-horizon DNS can get you around most of this, but as long as
> it's a new domain, why not change the internal dom ain to a different
> name and solve all your troubles?

Hi, Jeff, thanks for your reply...

Changing the name all will be ok? what about the confusion to use different
names? I want to everybody use name@basediez.com for mail accountts and to
enter the PDC and Act. Dir. and the webpages...

How can I acomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:45:34 +0100, "Jor" <nada@nada.com> wrote:

>> A split-horizon DNS can get you around most of this, but as long as
>> it's a new domain, why not change the internal dom ain to a different
>> name and solve all your troubles?
>
>Hi, Jeff, thanks for your reply...
>
>Changing the name all will be ok? what about the confusion to use different
>names? I want to everybody use name@basediez.com for mail accountts and to
>enter the PDC and Act. Dir. and the webpages...
>
>How can I acomplish this?

A split-horizon DNS. If those are your requirements.

http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/39771/39771.html
http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/whitepapers/split_dns.asp
http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-split-horizon.html#SeparateContentServers

Jeff

>"Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> escribió en el mensaje
>> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:09:29 +0100, "Jor" <nada@nada.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm very confused about DNS... I'm learning ;-|
>> >
>> >1.- I've bought a domain and want to manage it in my own machine to serve
>> >web pages and have an ActiveDirectory domain too, so I have both domains
>> >with the same name "xyz.com".
>>
>> Mistake number one. :)
>>
>> >2.- I have a primary zone "xyz.com" pointing to my DNS server and PDC (a
>> >local intranet with class c subnet 192.168.0...) an a HOST A record
>pointing
>> >to my public IP "www.xyz.com" inside the primary zone so the web pages
>are
>> >accesible beyond my intranet. In the intranet everybody connect to the
>IIS
>> >server with "xyz.com" and over there with "www.xyz.com" to see the pages.
>> >
>> >3.- Now I want that clients can connect to the PDC through internet
>(ADSL)
>> >changing their network ID to a Domain: xyz.com (they put the server
>public
>> >ip in their primary DNS server). Cause my DNS is pointing to my intranet
>> >(local class c address) everytime they try to connect get an error saying
>> >that everything is ok, the server is reachable but the ips are incorrect,
>> >how can I make a zone with the same domain name public and private?
>>
>> A split-horizon DNS can get you around most of this, but as long as
>> it's a new domain, why not change the internal dom ain to a different
>> name and solve all your troubles?
>>
>> Jeff

Thanks again jeff!!, I'll read all this stuff

In news:u6fCaJKWEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Jor <nada@nada.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> Hi, Jeff, thanks for your reply...
>
> Changing the name all will be ok? what about the confusion to use
> different names? I want to everybody use name@basediez.com for mail
> accountts and to enter the PDC and Act. Dir. and the webpages...
>
> How can I acomplish this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Just to point out, if you are running Exchange or any other mail server, you
can configure the mail server to receive mail for your basediez.com zone.
With Exchange 2000 or 2003, just configure the recipient policy to be
authorative to receive mail for that domain name and configure the MX record
to point to your Exchange server. This is normal with Exchange. I host 25
different domain names for customers' emails and my AD domain name has
nothing todo with any of the names I'm hosting email for.

:)

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --