ZONe transfer

I am trying pull down zones from a unix server. how can
this be accomplished??? I have Windows 2000 Active
directory integrated zone.

Thanks for any help

"Guru Cumarasamy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying pull down zones from a unix server. how can
> this be accomplished??? I have Windows 2000 Active
> directory integrated zone.

The source ("master") DNS server at the ISP must allow such
transfers to your IP address -- most do not allow this by default;
you must ask them to add you (if you a so authorized.)

Also:
IP must function (basic ping or equivalent if you have firewalls
between). Ports for DNS must be open, usually TCP 53 (and the
normal query port UDP 53) for zone transfers.

--
Herb Martin

> Thanks for any help

I do have authorization and the ports are open...Dow do I
tell my w2k DNS to pull from the ISPs DNS servers zone??

thanks

"Guru Cmarasamy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I do have authorization and the ports are open...Dow do I
> tell my w2k DNS to pull from the ISPs DNS servers zone??

Certainly, I thought you were trying that and it was failing.

It's a "zone transfer" so yes, you have to create the Zone internally
on your DNS server with the SAME NAME and give it a "master"
address that points to the ISP which you wish to "source" that
zone.

You can also test this by using nslookup (just hit enter after the
command name and use the "shell") and do a "list" command on
that zone.

Point yourself at the ISP server (server command, type "help" for
help.)

If you aren't authorized the "list" will fail.

--
Herb Martin