S530D Problem

I have a Canon S530D that has me quite perplexed.

It won't print black, no-where, no-how, on my Windows XP machine. I've spent
quite a bit of time Googling the problem and it would seem that it has a bad
printhead or possibly the waste tank is full, although I'm not getting an
error that would indicate this.

I would just toss the thing but it will print perfectly from another
computer I have running Windows 98.

Has anyone here seen this problem or have a suggestion as to what might be
going on?

The XP box is a new budget Dell with the usual: 40gb Hard drive, 256 ram,
Celeron 2.6, etc. The 530D did print sporadically on the Dell at first but
now just goes through the motions and spits out a blank sheet of paper when
asked to print black. It does print color just fine.

Thanks in advance for any clues.

Steve Midgley
3 answers Last reply
More about s530d problem

    Steve
    If the printer always prints well from another computer and never from the XP
    computer then a bad print head/waste pad is not the cause.
    Are you sure that it *always* prints OK from the Win98 PC?
    If so then I suggest that you completely uninstall the printer from your XP PC
    and reinstall it making sure you firstly download the latest XP drivers from
    Canon's web site.
    Tony

    <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.zT4BocUIx%23jRlQ@ue.ph...
    > Steve
    > If the printer always prints well from another computer and never from the
    > XP
    > computer then a bad print head/waste pad is not the cause.
    > Are you sure that it *always* prints OK from the Win98 PC?
    > If so then I suggest that you completely uninstall the printer from your
    > XP PC
    > and reinstall it making sure you firstly download the latest XP drivers
    > from
    > Canon's web site.
    > Tony

    The printer has been working with Windows 98 with no problems for several
    years.

    The XP drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled several times.

    Steve Midgley

    "Steve Midgley" <smidgley@com.net> wrote:
    ><Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.zT4BocUIx%23jRlQ@ue.ph...
    >> Steve
    >> If the printer always prints well from another computer and never from the
    >> XP
    >> computer then a bad print head/waste pad is not the cause.
    >> Are you sure that it *always* prints OK from the Win98 PC?
    >> If so then I suggest that you completely uninstall the printer from your
    >> XP PC
    >> and reinstall it making sure you firstly download the latest XP drivers
    >> from
    >> Canon's web site.
    >> Tony
    >
    >The printer has been working with Windows 98 with no problems for several
    >years.
    >
    >The XP drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled several times.
    >
    >Steve Midgley

    Steve
    If the printer always works with Win98 and never with WinXP then there must be
    a problem with the WinXP driver or OS (unlikely to be the OS).
    Sorry if I am stating the obvious but ...
    1. When you uninstalled the driver did you do so from Start Menu/All programs?
    2. When you re-installed the driver did you make sure the printer was turned
    off until asked to connect it and turn it on?
    3. Have you run a nozzle check from both the printer control panel and the
    WinXP driver and did the black print?
    Oh! one *very* long shot, are you using the same interface cable with both
    machines? And another long shot, do you know that the USB interface on your PC
    works with other devices?
    If you are confident to do so you may wish to uninstall the driver and edit the
    Registry to remove all traces of the installation if any remain and then
    re-install the driver.
    The usual cautions apply to Registry editing, back it up first and delete with
    care. See Microsoft's website for registry backup instructions.
    There is no information on Canon's website that refers to a problem of this
    nature that I can find.
    Tony

Printers Windows XP Peripherals