Capewalk

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
I have the Asus p5nd2 sli motherboard. After a series of booting only as far as the bios screen, it now runs for about 15 seconds and the power supply shuts off. There are no post error codes. I've tried the bios reset procedure described in the manual and it made no difference. Any suggestions?

jharrelljr

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Hehe, ok, I'm REALLY new to these boards and don't know a lot...but it seems like I've seen that question somewhere...not enough amps on your 12v plug from your power supply? Maybe I'm getting problems mixed up, I'm sure someone else here can tell you exactly.

If you're running SLI

You need to check a few things.

Wattage on your power supply. Make sure you have what it states to have or better. IF in the manual it says you need a 450 watt power supply then thats what you need or better.

Check the amperage of the 12v rail. Most good brands will tell you. If it doesn't upgrade your power supply. If your manual says you need a 18 amp 12v rail than you need that or better.

For example i have a 430 watt power supply and my 12v rails are 31 amps. If i ran SLI and the manual stated i need a 450 watt power supply with a 18amp 12v rail then i'd be cutting it short and may suffer problems such as yourself.

I have the Asus p5nd2 sli motherboard. After a series of booting only as far as the bios screen, it now runs for about 15 seconds and the power supply shuts off. There are no post error codes. I've tried the bios reset procedure described in the manual and it made no difference. Any suggestions?

For trouble shooting you need to tell us everything you have. Such as name brands and model numbers of everything from power supply to ram.

If you're running sli try taking out a card and try and boot.

since you haven't stated anythng about your computer i don't have anything to go by to help

Capewalk

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
The processor is Intel p4 4.1 ghz. The video card is an ATI 256 mb pci express. I don't know the model number. I have replaced the power supply and am still getting the same symptom. The mb manual calls for 400 watts. The old supply was 400 and the new one is an Antec 430 watts. I've tried booting without the video card, ram, hdd and optical drives. Ram is kingston ddr2 and is actually listed in the mb manual by part number as being approved. I'm ready to try a new motherboard. There is a show locally tomorrow. In the event I'm unable to find an exact replacement I'd also like suggestions for another brand. Thanks for all your help. :)

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Are you sure it is a 4.1 ghz P4. I didn't think intel made any chips faster than 3.7 or 3.8 ghz. If your cpu is overclocked setit back to default speeds for now and check to make sure your heatsink is properly fastened to the board. You might want to also try seeing if the board will post with just the cpu, memory, videocard and nothing else attached to the board.

jharrelljr

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Short circuit on board? Take the MB out and make sure all the risers are going to a screw spot on your MB. You could have an extra one under there that is contacting the circuits.

Capewalk

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks to all for your help. I tried switching out everything with known good parts and still no post. I replaced the motherboard and case. I'm reasonably certain it wasn't a short circuit, this is not a new build. Who can resist a new case with flames on it when rebuilding? :D I'm running now and starting to deal with Asus on the old board. I guess I'll sell the replacement on ebay. Thanks again.