Adding DHCP

I need to add DHCP to existing DNS. Current network is running public
addresses. How do I add private addresses to it?
Thank you.

"Alex Yakovlev" <yakovlev@nccn.org> wrote in message
> I need to add DHCP to existing DNS. Current network is running public
> addresses. How do I add private addresses to it?
> Thank you.

You question and you goals are unclear. You might need to
clarify to get the help you seek, but here's a stab at it:

> I need to add DHCP to existing DNS.

DHCP has nothing directly to do with DNS.
You can add the DHCP server to the same MACHINE running
DNS if you wish.

The only relationship between DHCP and the DNS server are:

1) You can tell the DHCP server to give out the DNS server
configuration to the clients.

2) You can even have the DHCP register the address and client
names with the DNS server.

> Current network is running public addresses.

Then why would you wish to add "private addresses"?

> How do I add private addresses to it?

For each separate network or subnetwork you create a new
SCOPE on the DHCP server. The scope has the pool of
addresses for that (sub)network and the associated configuration
settings for those clients.

If the DHCP server is not on the same subnet as that scope
then you must arrange for the client "broadcasts" to reach the
DHCP server:

1) a local DHCP Relay Agent WITH THE CLIENTS
2) all intervening routers must "BootP forward" (or equivalent)
(think of Boot as an older version of DHCP in this context.)

--
Herb Martin

In news:OfQvL0IWEHA.2168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Alex Yakovlev <yakovlev@nccn.org> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> I need to add DHCP to existing DNS. Current network is running public
> addresses. How do I add private addresses to it?
> Thank you.

As Herb said, your intentions are not totally clear. Do you want to change
your addressing scheme from a public IP range to a private IP range? Are you
currently using DHCP for your public IP range?
--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

I am currently running static DNS with public IP addresses. Need to keep
some of those and add DHCP with private address range.
Thank you.

In news:eACO1RUWEHA.2844@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Alex Yakovlev <yakovlev@nccn.org> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> I am currently running static DNS with public IP addresses. Need to
> keep some of those and add DHCP with private address range.
> Thank you.

I'm still not totally clear on this. Let me see if I understand -> you don't
want to change the IP scheme, but you want to mix private and public on the
same physical subnet?

If so, that's not really advised, unless I'm not seeing the whole picture.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

This is correct. I want to keep public addrresses on static DNS and add PHCP
with private addresses. Why is it not advised?
Thank you.
"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:evPmtwWWEHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

In news:uOTh8$iWEHA.3740@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Alex Yakovlev <yakovlev@nccn.org> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> This is correct. I want to keep public addrresses on static DNS and
> add PHCP with private addresses. Why is it not advised?
> Thank you.

Not sure what you want to accomplish. But sure, you can go ahead and create
a scope with private addresses. Just make sure that the DHCP server is also
configured with a static address that belongs to the scope you want to
create.

Well, I was thinking you want to mix priv and pub IPs on one machine. I was
thinking a different scenario when I said not advised.

I am assuming that your machines with priv IPs will NOT communicate with the
machines with the pub IPs.