DNS error

Hi I have a desktop and laptop connected via a router and
share the files, printing and high speed cable internet.
Both computers have Windows 2000. I lose the internet
connection after 1-2 hours of inactivity..then I hve to
reboot the laptop to restore the internet. The file
sharing and printer sharing are always available. When I
go to open a web page this flashes very quickly at the
bottom of page "Opening Page" RES:\\C:\WINNT\SYSTEM 32
\SHDOCLC.DLL\DNS ERROR.HTM This results in an error and
the requested web page cannot be displayed. I then have
to reboot the laptop to regain the internet conncetion.
The desktop never loses its connection. Pls help

agarg_1

In news:206b201c458f2$ec9bcd20$a001280a@phx.gbl,
agarg_1 <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> Hi I have a desktop and laptop connected via a router and
> share the files, printing and high speed cable internet.
> Both computers have Windows 2000. I lose the internet
> connection after 1-2 hours of inactivity..then I hve to
> reboot the laptop to restore the internet. The file
> sharing and printer sharing are always available. When I
> go to open a web page this flashes very quickly at the
> bottom of page "Opening Page" RES:\\C:\WINNT\SYSTEM 32
> \SHDOCLC.DLL\DNS ERROR.HTM This results in an error and
> the requested web page cannot be displayed. I then have
> to reboot the laptop to regain the internet conncetion.
> The desktop never loses its connection. Pls help
>
> agarg_1

Is this a domain or you just have these two workstations (no domain
controllers)?

When the laptop displays that error in the browser, try going into a command
prompt (CMD prompt) and ping the website in question that you;re trying to
get to. Then go back to the browser and refresh the window.

If that doesn't help, let's take a look at your ipconfig /all (post them
here please) from both machines so we can compare your configuration.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --