Host entry not resolved

Hi all,
On my PC, running win2000 pro, having "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\host"
looking like:

127.0.0.1 localhost
10.1.1.1 spi

I'm not able to ping the host "spi" unless using the IP address.
I must mention I stopped the DNS client service. My IP address is obtained
using DHCP.
Can someone help my with this?
Regards,

Nicolae

I believe that you have a record in DNS pointing to a wrong IP.

Here you have a guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/samplechapters/cncf/cncf_imp_miqe.asp

You may need to add also a FQDN name before the hostname like

IP name1.domain1.com name1 in your hosts file and not host see
"C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\host"
as you specified. Similar a LMHOST record may help and importing that as a
permanent record too.

Use ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns

Otherwise how is the life at Connex? - Salutari lui Valentin Badiu from my
side :)

Chris P.

"Nicolae Panait" <nicolae.panait@connex.ro> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> On my PC, running win2000 pro, having "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\host"
> looking like:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 10.1.1.1 spi
>
> I'm not able to ping the host "spi" unless using the IP address.
> I must mention I stopped the DNS client service. My IP address is obtained
> using DHCP.
> Can someone help my with this?
> Regards,
>
> Nicolae

In news:eTyXFsUWEHA.3236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Zorba <nospam@nonexistent> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Use ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns

These commands won't work with the DNS client service stopped.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately none worked:
- I tried with lmhosts too. No success.
- I've considered also the suggestion about having a wrong IP address in
DNS. I tried inserting another (and another) entry in the host/lmhost file.
Same rezult: "Unknown Host"
- using FQDN didn't produce any success...
This is very strange as it used to work!(half an year ago). Can't tell what
have changed.
It's seams windows doesn't read (nothing but the localhost) the host file at
all!!?

All the best,
Nicolae

PS: Salutarile trimise!

"Zorba" <nospam@nonexistent> wrote in message
> I believe that you have a record in DNS pointing to a wrong IP.
>
> Here you have a guide

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/samplechapters/cncf/cnc
f_imp_miqe.asp

> You may need to add also a FQDN name before the hostname like
>
> IP name1.domain1.com name1 in your hosts file and not host see
> "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\host"
> as you specified. Similar a LMHOST record may help and importing that as
> permanent record too.
>
> Use ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns
>
> Otherwise how is the life at Connex? - Salutari lui Valentin Badiu from my
> side :)
>
> Chris P.
>

> "Nicolae Panait" <nicolae.panait@connex.ro> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > On my PC, running win2000 pro, having
"C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\host"
> > looking like:
> >
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost
> > 10.1.1.1 spi
> >
> > I'm not able to ping the host "spi" unless using the IP address.
> > I must mention I stopped the DNS client service. My IP address is
obtained
> > using DHCP.
> > Can someone help my with this?
> > Regards,
> >
> > Nicolae

Take it step by step then:

nslookup -> CRLF (Enter)

server "IP_of_master_dns_server" -> CRLF (Enter) this need to be
the same master DNS configured on your TCPIP client, the master for that
zone - domain.

"client_name" -> CRLF (Enter) , this should work in both formats of
short hostname and FQDN and you should get the IP returned)

If you got the IP returned it means that the DNS server have the host record
created; if not, Dynamic Update for that zone it is not enabled and you need
to create the record manualy or to enable Dynamic Updates. You can also
configure your DHCP server to add/remove this records from DNS.

If this is not a public domain (.com, .net, org) you may need to point the
clients to use this DNS_IP on thier network settings. Use ipconfig /all to
check the DNS IPs on clients that should access this host by name. Win 9x
clients will try to use WINS for short names and LMHOSTS.

DNS is using UDP 53 for queries and TCP 53 for zone transfers - by using
nslookup and server commands you will figure out if there is a network
issue.

Thank you,

Chris Popescu

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> In news:eTyXFsUWEHA.3236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Zorba <nospam@nonexistent> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Use ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns
>
> These commands won't work with the DNS client service stopped.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:

I agree with Kevin that these commands will NOT work with the DNS Client
service stopped. Test it.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

In news:eCZ9l3jWEHA.2928@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Zorba <nospam@nonexistent> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> Take it step by step then:
>

> nslookup -> CRLF (Enter)
>
> server "IP_of_master_dns_server" -> CRLF (Enter) this need
> to be the same master DNS configured on your TCPIP client, the master
> for that zone - domain.
>
> "client_name" -> CRLF (Enter) , this should work in both
> formats of short hostname and FQDN and you should get the IP returned)
>
> If you got the IP returned it means that the DNS server have the host
> record created; if not, Dynamic Update for that zone it is not
> enabled and you need to create the record manualy or to enable
> Dynamic Updates. You can also configure your DHCP server to
> add/remove this records from DNS.
>
> If this is not a public domain (.com, .net, org) you may need to
> point the clients to use this DNS_IP on thier network settings. Use
> ipconfig /all to check the DNS IPs on clients that should access this
> host by name. Win 9x clients will try to use WINS for short names and
> LMHOSTS.
>
> DNS is using UDP 53 for queries and TCP 53 for zone transfers - by
> using nslookup and server commands you will figure out if there is a
> network issue.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Chris Popescu

Can dynamic DNS add new records to a quering DNS ? Thanks

Regards
Daniel

"Zorba" <nospam@nonexistent> wrote in message news:<eCZ9l3jWEHA.2928@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Take it step by step then:
>

> nslookup -> CRLF (Enter)
>
> server "IP_of_master_dns_server" -> CRLF (Enter) this need to be
> the same master DNS configured on your TCPIP client, the master for that
> zone - domain.
>
> "client_name" -> CRLF (Enter) , this should work in both formats of
> short hostname and FQDN and you should get the IP returned)
>
> If you got the IP returned it means that the DNS server have the host record
> created; if not, Dynamic Update for that zone it is not enabled and you need
> to create the record manualy or to enable Dynamic Updates. You can also
> configure your DHCP server to add/remove this records from DNS.
>
> If this is not a public domain (.com, .net, org) you may need to point the
> clients to use this DNS_IP on thier network settings. Use ipconfig /all to
> check the DNS IPs on clients that should access this host by name. Win 9x
> clients will try to use WINS for short names and LMHOSTS.
>
> DNS is using UDP 53 for queries and TCP 53 for zone transfers - by using
> nslookup and server commands you will figure out if there is a network
> issue.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Chris Popescu
>

> "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> > In news:eTyXFsUWEHA.3236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> > Zorba <nospam@nonexistent> posted a question
> > Then Kevin replied below:
> > > Use ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns
> >
> > These commands won't work with the DNS client service stopped.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> > Hope This Helps
> > ============================
> > --
> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> > newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> > To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
> > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> > It will strip signature out and more
> > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> > OEBackup:
> > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

In news:6a6a9040.0406281000.76bf3cc8@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted their thoughts, then I offered
mine
> Can dynamic DNS add new records to a quering DNS ? Thanks
>
> Regards
> Daniel

No, if I understand what you're asking. DYnamic updates is what a client
will do or the netlogon service will create for you. If from one DNS to
another DNS, no.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

NP> [...] having "C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\host" looking [...]

Check that this is the same place as where Windows believes your HOSTS file is
stored.

NP> I'm not able to ping the host "spi" unless using the IP address.

Check that you have a DNS server.
Check that the DNS server has the relevant information (an "A" resource record
set for the appropriate domain name) in its DNS database.
Check that the DNS server is running and publishing the contents of its DNS
database.
Check that your client machine can speak the DNS protocol with the DNS server.
Check that your client machine is configured to talk to this DNS server (or
with a second DNS server that in turn talks to this DNS server).
Check that your client machine is configured to turn the non-fully-qualified
domain name "spi" into the appropriate fully-qualified domain name, whatever
that is, that it will then query the DNS server about.

NP> Can someone help my with this?

Help yourself. You have plenty to do.