rx 3715 IE browser aborts with latest HP romcode update

a b α HP
December 28, 2004 3:38:34 AM

I thought I was loosing my mind... normal straight featureless websites work
ok after updating the rom from the hp site for the hprx3715 ipaq...

but sadly the windows mobile site when you get to he point you are clicking
on the side of page link menu just makes the browser abort. I check in the
active task menu and it is indeed a dead process... it has terminated...

there is another of the hp supplied websites in the IE default page too
that do this... maybe a java error?

bugs the heck out of me though....the other day I thought it was just a
fluke.... has anyone else encountered this on the ipaq rx3715 after the
latest upgrade?

--
Thanks Ed Sharpe archivist for SMECC

Please check our web site at
http://www.smecc.org
to see other engineering fields, communications and computation stuff we
buy, and by all means when in Arizona drop in and see us.

address:

coury house / smecc
5802 w palmaire ave
glendale az 85301

--
Thanks Ed Sharpe archivist for SMECC

Please check our web site at
http://www.smecc.org
to see other engineering fields, communications and computation stuff we
buy, and by all means when in Arizona drop in and see us.

address:

coury house / smecc
5802 w palmaire ave
glendale az 85301
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 28, 2004 11:45:27 PM

"ed sharpe" <esharpe@uswest.net> wrote in message
>I thought I was loosing my mind... normal straight featureless websites
>work ok after updating the rom from the hp site for the hprx3715 ipaq...
>
> but sadly the windows mobile site when you get to he point you are
> clicking on the side of page link menu just makes the browser abort. I
> check in the active task menu and it is indeed a dead process... it has
> terminated...
>
> there is another of the hp supplied websites in the IE default page too
> that do this... maybe a java error?
>
> bugs the heck out of me though....the other day I thought it was just a
> fluke.... has anyone else encountered this on the ipaq rx3715 after the
> latest upgrade?

Nope, it's not a Java error - Pocket Internet Explorer does not support
Java.

Microsoft is aware of a problem with some pages - not all - when loaded
causing PIE to terminate. Although they're working on this there's no ETA
for a fix yet.

a b α HP
December 28, 2004 11:45:28 PM

what seems weird... I do not remember the version that came with the ipaq
doing this.... it seems just after I upgraded from the hp site...

ed
"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

> "ed sharpe" <esharpe@uswest.net> wrote in message
>>I thought I was loosing my mind... normal straight featureless websites
>>work ok after updating the rom from the hp site for the hprx3715 ipaq...
>>
>> but sadly the windows mobile site when you get to he point you are
>> clicking on the side of page link menu just makes the browser abort. I
>> check in the active task menu and it is indeed a dead process... it has
>> terminated...
>>
>> there is another of the hp supplied websites in the IE default page too
>> that do this... maybe a java error?
>>
>> bugs the heck out of me though....the other day I thought it was just a
>> fluke.... has anyone else encountered this on the ipaq rx3715 after the
>> latest upgrade?
>>

> Nope, it's not a Java error - Pocket Internet Explorer does not support
> Java.
>
> Microsoft is aware of a problem with some pages - not all - when loaded
> causing PIE to terminate. Although they're working on this there's no ETA
> for a fix yet.

> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
> Our RSS feeds give you up to date information on new software as soon as
> they're available: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3344

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 29, 2004 12:18:16 AM

I have a day before I can return this unit and get another from frys... I
want to make sure this is not the hardware.... is there anything
documenting the problem?
> what seems weird... I do not remember the version that came with the ipaq
> doing this.... it seems just after I upgraded from the hp site...
>
> ed
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "ed sharpe" <esharpe@uswest.net> wrote in message
>>>I thought I was loosing my mind... normal straight featureless websites
>>>work ok after updating the rom from the hp site for the hprx3715 ipaq...
>>>
>>> but sadly the windows mobile site when you get to he point you are
>>> clicking on the side of page link menu just makes the browser abort. I
>>> check in the active task menu and it is indeed a dead process... it has
>>> terminated...
>>>
>>> there is another of the hp supplied websites in the IE default page too
>>> that do this... maybe a java error?
>>>
>>> bugs the heck out of me though....the other day I thought it was just a
>>> fluke.... has anyone else encountered this on the ipaq rx3715 after the
>>> latest upgrade?
>>>

>> Nope, it's not a Java error - Pocket Internet Explorer does not support
>> Java.
>>
>> Microsoft is aware of a problem with some pages - not all - when loaded
>> causing PIE to terminate. Although they're working on this there's no ETA
>> for a fix yet.
>>
>> --
>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>> Our RSS feeds give you up to date information on new software as soon as
>> they're available: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3344

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 29, 2004 1:39:21 AM

Java 1.2 is supported... other java pieces may work, may not, may cause
a blank screen

This problem has been identified as a known issue with the rom upgrade,
but I can't give you any hope that it will be addressed any time soon...
returning _might_ get you a unit with the previous os.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 29, 2004 1:45:52 AM

well it is the same os but has media 10 instead of 9

where can i go to the hp site to get the orig instal version....
it makes IE quite worthless the way it is.

<start of rant> I can not believe that HP is sitting on their thumbs on
this issue. They
are normally known for checking things before release...

Since it blew up on the included home page I would have to ridicule HP
quality assurance program < end of rant>

--

message news:%231uyeBW7EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Java 1.2 is supported... other java pieces may work, may not, may cause a
> blank screen
>
> This problem has been identified as a known issue with the rom upgrade,
> but I can't give you any hope that it will be addressed any time soon...
> returning _might_ get you a unit with the previous os.

a b α HP
December 29, 2004 2:29:44 AM

Again.... is there any write up on this either on the MS site or the HP
site? Just curious to read...
message news:%231uyeBW7EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Java 1.2 is supported... other java pieces may work, may not, may cause a
> blank screen
>
> This problem has been identified as a known issue with the rom upgrade,
> but I can't give you any hope that it will be addressed any time soon...
> returning _might_ get you a unit with the previous os.

a b α HP
December 29, 2004 1:38:31 PM

All I know about are scattered reports of the same thing happening to
others... no response from anyone who might know more or could do
anything about it.

>> Java <<

I've been corrected...

JavaScript 1.1 (ECMA-262)

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/developer/technicalarti...

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 29, 2004 3:29:40 PM

found some info at

http://www.ipaqhq.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11748....

and many other interesting IPAQ things... it seems this IPAQ HQ has quite a
few ipaq users hanging out there.
added it to my favorites .

I still think HP needs to address this with a fruther firmware release...
think I will send them a little letter...
message news:eh1eWTc7EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...