Initializing a New Hard Disk

Whenever I have set up a new hard drive in the past I have used
an old Win98 boot disk and FDISK

Now, I am going to add a 120Gig data drive to my computer, and I
am not sure the old fdisk I have will work with that size drive

Does WinXp have, somewhere in the various options (control panel?)
a program equivalent to the old FDISK so I may initialize and then
format (as NTFS) this new drive?

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

In news:h6b0n0h6fpleucsf0vj3gh88pgmg7tjk27@4ax.com,
John Thomas Smith <jtsmith@pacifier.com> typed:

> Whenever I have set up a new hard drive in the past I have used
> an old Win98 boot disk and FDISK
>
> Now, I am going to add a 120Gig data drive to my computer, and
> am not sure the old fdisk I have will work with that size drive
>
> Does WinXp have, somewhere in the various options (control
> panel?)
> a program equivalent to the old FDISK so I may initialize and
> then
> format (as NTFS) this new drive?

Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management.
Right-click the drive and choose Format.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When I first tried my Western Digital 120Gb hard drive the system didn't
recognize its full capacity until I booted with the WD Data LifeGuard
program and used it to set up the drive. Then Windows saw it just fine; so
keep that in mind as you do what the others said to do.

"John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I have set up a new hard drive in the past I have used
> an old Win98 boot disk and FDISK
>
> Now, I am going to add a 120Gig data drive to my computer, and I
> am not sure the old fdisk I have will work with that size drive
>
> Does WinXp have, somewhere in the various options (control panel?)
> a program equivalent to the old FDISK so I may initialize and then
> format (as NTFS) this new drive?
>

> John Thomas Smith
> http://www.direct2usales.com
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

If you have connected the drive as a slave device and have XP up and running
you can partition and format using Disk Management. Right click My Computer
and select Manage to open Computer Management Console. On the left under
Storage double click Disk Management. Your drives will be displayed to the
right. Right click on the new drive and select Partition. Once partitioned
it can be formatted.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
| Whenever I have set up a new hard drive in the past I have used
| an old Win98 boot disk and FDISK
|
| Now, I am going to add a 120Gig data drive to my computer, and I
| am not sure the old fdisk I have will work with that size drive
|
| Does WinXp have, somewhere in the various options (control panel?)
| a program equivalent to the old FDISK so I may initialize and then
| format (as NTFS) this new drive?
|

| John Thomas Smith
| http://www.direct2usales.com
| http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Yep, called Device Manager.

To access, install the new hard drive watching all jumper settings for the
new drive and possibly other drive on cable. Boot computer.

Right click My Computer. Left Click on Manage. Left Click on Disk
Management. A listing of all your drives will appear in the bottom right
listing starting with Disk 0 and it's partitions on the right side. Find
your new drive and then right click on the area to the right of the Disk X.
Click on Partition and assign the partitions you want to the drive. Once
that is done you will be able to format the drive's partitions to your
heart's content.

Note: Windows XP will allow you to format as a NTFS format a drive of just
about any size. If you desire to access the drive from a dual boot machine
such as Win XP and Win 9X you must partition and format using a Win 9X boot
disk with fdisk.exe and format.exe located on it. Win XP will not format a
FAT 32 disk format larger than 32 GB.

"John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I have set up a new hard drive in the past I have used
> an old Win98 boot disk and FDISK
>
> Now, I am going to add a 120Gig data drive to my computer, and I
> am not sure the old fdisk I have will work with that size drive
>
> Does WinXp have, somewhere in the various options (control panel?)
> a program equivalent to the old FDISK so I may initialize and then
> format (as NTFS) this new drive?
>

> John Thomas Smith
> http://www.direct2usales.com
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Do Shep Fdisk in Google! You will find what you need.

--
Have a nice day,