record or zone

I have recently run into a problem access resources from
an agency outside our network. I'm not sure what happened
but I used to be able access the resource www.abc.com (for
example). I can only get to that resource now by it's
ip. Do I need to enter a new record in my current
internal dns forward lookup zone or should I create a new
zone? Which type of record should I add if that is the
way to go?

thank you,

Mike

In news:2068d01c45933$00b1e840$a101280a@phx.gbl,
mikebart <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> I have recently run into a problem access resources from
> an agency outside our network. I'm not sure what happened
> but I used to be able access the resource www.abc.com (for
> example). I can only get to that resource now by it's
> ip. Do I need to enter a new record in my current
> internal dns forward lookup zone or should I create a new
> zone? Which type of record should I add if that is the
> way to go?
>
> thank you,
>
> Mike

Need more info about your configuration to understand why www.abc.com is
giving you problems. Now if you're saying that your AD name is the same as
this abc.com domain, then all you need is a www entry with the external IP.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

My AD is different, xyz.com.

Mike

mikebart <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have recently run into a problem access resources from
> an agency outside our network. I'm not sure what happened
> but I used to be able access the resource www.abc.com (for
> example). I can only get to that resource now by it's
> ip. Do I need to enter a new record in my current
> internal dns forward lookup zone or should I create a new
> zone? Which type of record should I add if that is the
> way to go?

What changes have been made lately?
Things like this don't just "happen", usually something sets them off.

Run this in a command prompt: nslookup www.abc.com it should return the IP
of the site, is it the correct IP?
Do you have a local DNS server?
Is there a zone for abc.com?
Is there a " . " Forward Lookup Zone?
There are many questions that must be looked at, just saying it doesn't work
any more doesn't give a clue.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

I don't know what happen, that's the problem. Users told
me the other day they couldn't access this site for about
a month. I replaced my email server which is also a dc.
I added a secondary zone from another agency we are
connected to. I was under the impression we accessed the
sites we needed through a third party as we use the links
on their intranet site. I have static routes on my router
to this third party which has a router in my building back
to them via t1. We access several sites from the agency
in question but access their resources by ip, this one in
particular is using the url. Of course it's the one they
use most often!!

your

In news:2103601c459fc$785a21e0$a401280a@phx.gbl,
mikebart <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I don't know what happen, that's the problem. Users told
> me the other day they couldn't access this site for about
> a month. I replaced my email server which is also a dc.
> I added a secondary zone from another agency we are
> connected to. I was under the impression we accessed the
> sites we needed through a third party as we use the links
> on their intranet site. I have static routes on my router
> to this third party which has a router in my building back
> to them via t1. We access several sites from the agency
> in question but access their resources by ip, this one in
> particular is using the url. Of course it's the one they
> use most often!!

So you are saying that you don't get the same IP when you resolve
www.abc.com that you are able to connect to the site with?
Create a new forward lookup zone named www.abc.com then in the zone create a
new host leave the name field blank and give it the IP you need to access
the site. Click OK to create the record anyway when it barks at you saying
it isn't a valid host name.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

Thanks, works now.

In news:20fef01c45a04$895eb1b0$a501280a@phx.gbl,
mikebart <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thanks, works now.

Your welcome, I'm happy to have been able to help you resolve this.