dns for remote subnets

I hope someone can tell me simply how to setup our remote LANs DNS, 10 of them working over Sonicwall VPN with it's own ISP. At the moment I have a NT4 domain not using int. DNS servers, but will upgrade to W2k domain soon.

The Sonicwalls are handling DHCP for all of the remote LANs and issues each local PC it's ISP's DNS, so that external web traffic flows through the ISP's gateway rather than back to the server farm, then back out to the Internet.

I would like to keep this arrangement, but of course the remote LANs need to access servers and intranet webservers. Is this possible?

There are W2k servers in each remote office and will set them up as DCs to the GC server at the main office/server farm. Should I set them up as DNS servers too?

Sorry for my ignorance on this issue.

Thanks,
Rick

Windows 2000 uses DNS for name resolution (not just for internet name
resolution like NT4), so your clients will need to use *only* the DNS
addresses of your internal DNS servers. If you will have a W2K server at
each office you may as well make it a DNS server too.

"Doc2004" <Doc2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I hope someone can tell me simply how to setup our remote LANs DNS, 10 of
them working over Sonicwall VPN with it's own ISP. At the moment I have a
NT4 domain not using int. DNS servers, but will upgrade to W2k domain soon.

> The Sonicwalls are handling DHCP for all of the remote LANs and issues
each local PC it's ISP's DNS, so that external web traffic flows through the
ISP's gateway rather than back to the server farm, then back out to the
Internet.

> I would like to keep this arrangement, but of course the remote LANs need
to access servers and intranet webservers. Is this possible?

> There are W2k servers in each remote office and will set them up as DCs to
the GC server at the main office/server farm. Should I set them up as DNS
servers too?

> Sorry for my ignorance on this issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Should I just setup each site's server's DNS server with a forwarder to their ISP's DNS servers?

"Brendon Rogers" wrote:

> Windows 2000 uses DNS for name resolution (not just for internet name
> resolution like NT4), so your clients will need to use *only* the DNS
> addresses of your internal DNS servers. If you will have a W2K server at
> each office you may as well make it a DNS server too.
>
> "Doc2004" <Doc2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I hope someone can tell me simply how to setup our remote LANs DNS, 10 of
> them working over Sonicwall VPN with it's own ISP. At the moment I have a
> NT4 domain not using int. DNS servers, but will upgrade to W2k domain soon.
> >
> > The Sonicwalls are handling DHCP for all of the remote LANs and issues
> each local PC it's ISP's DNS, so that external web traffic flows through the
> ISP's gateway rather than back to the server farm, then back out to the
> Internet.
> >
> > I would like to keep this arrangement, but of course the remote LANs need
> to access servers and intranet webservers. Is this possible?
> >
> > There are W2k servers in each remote office and will set them up as DCs to
> the GC server at the main office/server farm. Should I set them up as DNS
> servers too?
> >
> > Sorry for my ignorance on this issue.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rick

In news:39981B09-7E5E-4DCC-8834-68E71DA2A8F8@microsoft.com,
Doc2004 <Doc2004@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> Should I just setup each site's server's DNS server with a forwarder
> to their ISP's DNS servers?
>
> "Brendon Rogers" wrote:

Yes, as long as they're all in the one domain and there's no delegation
configured.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --