4 main question headers hers's the first....

December 28, 2004 12:27:36 PM

Grey imports!

For those who live in London UK, you may know the electronic shopping area
called Tottenham Court Road. Bought my ipaq 4700 from there. Works well on
the whole, but I have a query as to whether I have bought a grey import. I
notice that the dictionary of various documents, seems to be based on an
American dictionary. Does this automatically mean that it is a grey import
or is there another way to check the status of my machine.
What are my rights if I want to change the machine for a British based
machine (if such a thing exists)
Do we know of any London based HP repair centres?

More about : main question headers

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 3:55:31 PM

>> american dictonary <<

All versions use the same "word completion" dictonary... and afaik, it
is not changable or settable.

As you enter british vocabulary they will be retained... until the next
soft reset ;-/

Happy Holidays,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 4:07:11 PM

Not sure if this will help, but have you set your regional settings? It
may be like your desktop computer and use an american dictionary if it
is set up as an american machine? Start Settings System Regional
Settings (also set the clock to your correct timezone).

"Lynne" <asls14@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
| Grey imports!
|
| For those who live in London UK, you may know the electronic shopping
area
| called Tottenham Court Road. Bought my ipaq 4700 from there. Works
well on
| the whole, but I have a query as to whether I have bought a grey
import. I
| notice that the dictionary of various documents, seems to be based on
an
| American dictionary. Does this automatically mean that it is a grey
import
| or is there another way to check the status of my machine.
| What are my rights if I want to change the machine for a British
based
| machine (if such a thing exists)
| Do we know of any London based HP repair centres?

Related resources
December 29, 2004 3:18:39 PM

Think you meant hard reset! :) )

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
>>> american dictonary <<
>
> All versions use the same "word completion" dictonary... and afaik, it
> is not changable or settable.
>
> As you enter british vocabulary they will be retained... until the
> next soft reset ;-/
>
> Happy Holidays,
December 29, 2004 3:18:40 PM

>> Think you meant hard reset! <<

Actually, no... words added to work completion are erased at a soft
reset, then, on the next startup, the words presented are from the os
default set.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:39:54 AM

Beverly, I missed the first part of this thread. How do you add words to the
word completion dictionary? Does adding them to the spell check in
PocketWord do this, but then they are lost from the word complete after soft
reset, but still remain in the spell checker?

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com

message news:%237vtJQc7EHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> Think you meant hard reset! <<
>
> Actually, no... words added to work completion are erased at a soft reset,
> then, on the next startup, the words presented are from the os default
> set.

January 2, 2005 2:42:52 PM

The only way that I know to add words is to type them when you use the
ppc...

from what I have been able to determine, the word completion "default
word set" is read into memory on soft reset, then words are added when
word completion sees you use them repeatedly.

Unfortunately, on the next soft reset, the process starts all over again
as the list is not kept in the registry or dat file.

I vaguely remember some info on a potential solution and am persuing it
although the target archive is currently empty.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!