Forwarders are disabled

Hello,

After we installed windows 2000 server with dns and everything. we
configured the clients, but when we tried to browse on the internet, we
received the message that we could not view the page.

When we configure the client with the DNS server of our provider then we saw
that it works.

So we looked to our configuration of the DNS server and we saw that the box
"Enable forwarders" is grayed.

Is there a way to enable it without to much trouble.

some more information:
The domain name is without any dots, just for exampe "domain-company"

I am looking foreward to an answer.

regards

Teun

"teunvw" <teunvw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> After we installed windows 2000 server with dns and everything. we
> configured the clients, but when we tried to browse on the internet, we
> received the message that we could not view the page.
>
> When we configure the client with the DNS server of our provider then we
saw
> that it works.
>
> So we looked to our configuration of the DNS server and we saw that the
box
> "Enable forwarders" is grayed.
>
> Is there a way to enable it without to much trouble.

Yes, it is an artifact of the DCPromo/Adding the DNS server when
you were not (at that time) Internet connected.

It creates a root or "." zone, in normal view (don't mess with the
'cache' in Advanced view for this, as that is irrelevant) delete the
"." zone.

You don't need it (really, only a very few people who understand
DNS and have multiple domain trees need that.)

DELETE the "." or root zone. Forwarders will enable.

Add the ISP (or other appropriate Internet resolving DNS servers.)

Point ALL of your client NIC settings back to the internal
DNS server (set), including "server" boxes like the DNS server
or DCs.

If you mess with the DCs you must Stop/Start the NetLogon service.

BTW, your zone for internal use must be DYNAMIC.

> some more information:
> The domain name is without any dots, just for exampe "domain-company"

That's a separate issue but it is BAD. (Not catastrophic, but BAD.)

You really need at LEAST a two tag name, e.g., domain.com, but not
one tag as you have. This is NOT the problem with your forwarders
but will cause you other issues.

Search posts from "Ace" here, he and others regularly post the
fix article number.

> I am looking foreward to an answer.

Forwarders are easy, but I don't have the one tag name article number
memorized (and have never had to deal with it personally.)

--
Herb Martin