can't resolve text url's

this is a similar problem to another post

i have a w2k server which is the domain controller with 5 workstations
and 2 network printers, the network is private 192.168.xxx.xxx...the
domain being mycompany.com. i purchased the domain name from network
solutions. i set up an apache web server with squirrel mail on an xp
machine with a static ip (it's at home), it works great outside of the
office but i cannot visit either the web site www.mycompany.com nor
the email server mail.mycompany.com (i set up the two virtual servers
in the conf file for apache)

can anyone help me please?

warmest regards, john p

it sounds like your ad domain may have hijacked the zone. if you have set
your ad domain dns name to be the same as your public domain
(mycompany.com), then you can have a host of dns name-resolution issues.
however, what you should be able to do is in your ad domain's zone file,
manually add the a and mx records for your www and mail hosts and point them
to the proper external ip addresse(s).

hope this helps,

Dan

In news:e2d1c1b0.0406240123.34dd0806@posting.google.com,
jtg <bigjohnpeoples@hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> this is a similar problem to another post
>
> i have a w2k server which is the domain controller with 5 workstations
> and 2 network printers, the network is private 192.168.xxx.xxx...the
> domain being mycompany.com. i purchased the domain name from network
> solutions. i set up an apache web server with squirrel mail on an xp
> machine with a static ip (it's at home), it works great outside of the
> office but i cannot visit either the web site www.mycompany.com nor
> the email server mail.mycompany.com (i set up the two virtual servers
> in the conf file for apache)
>
> can anyone help me please?
>
> warmest regards, john p

Assuming your AD domain name is exactly the same as the external domain
name, this is called a split horizon or split namespace.

Who is hosting your external name, you or your ISP?

If it's your DNS server, you will NEED a separate physical DNS server to
host the external zone name that will contain the external WAN IP for your
mail and website A records. On the DNS server you are using for AD, manually
create the www and mail records and give them the internal private IP.

If the ISP is hosting the name, that;s fine. On your own internal DNS server
you are using for AD, manually create the www and mail records and give them
the internal private IP.

Split zone or split horizon
http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/39771/39771.html
http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/whitepapers/split_dns.asp
http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-split-horizon.html#SeparateContentServers

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --