"." zone won't delete

graeme

I recently had to rebuild one of the domains within the
company. When I went to configure the DNS, however, I
found that I couldn't get it to work properly. In the
Forward Lookup Zones, the domain is registered but the
_msdcs, _sites, _tcp and _udp folders are all missing. On
the same level as the Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones,
there is a folder called Cached Lookups, which contains
a .(dot) zone. I understand that I should delete this to
enable forwarding (which is what I want to do) but there
is no Delete option when I right click on it. I have
tried stopping and starting the Netlogon service but it
did no good. Can anyone offer me any assistance?

Best wishes
Graeme

In news:20db901c459de$6fdc8030$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Graeme <g.sutherland@DELETEkildrummy.co.uk> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I recently had to rebuild one of the domains within the
> company. When I went to configure the DNS, however, I
> found that I couldn't get it to work properly. In the
> Forward Lookup Zones, the domain is registered but the
> _msdcs, _sites, _tcp and _udp folders are all missing. On
> the same level as the Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones,
> there is a folder called Cached Lookups, which contains
> a .(dot) zone. I understand that I should delete this to
> enable forwarding (which is what I want to do) but there
> is no Delete option when I right click on it. I have
> tried stopping and starting the Netlogon service but it
> did no good. Can anyone offer me any assistance?
>
> Best wishes
> Graeme

Don't let the " . " in cached lookups confuse you, it is supposed to be
there.
Here is something I just posted this morning:

<snip>
There are three things that must
match exactly, they are:
1. Primary DNS suffix (on the ipconfig /all)
2. AD DNS domain name (in Active Directory Users & Computers)
3. Forward Lookup zone name (in the local DNS server listed in TCP/IP
properties)

In addition, you must follow this rule: Use only the local DNS server that
hosts the AD Domain's Forward Lookup Zone. Never, use your ISP's or any
other external DNS server that does not have the AD DNS zone, IN ANY
POSITION, in TCP/IP properties of any member of an AD Domain. Use your ISP's
DNS only as a forwarder listed on the Forwarders tab of the DNS Server
properties in the DNS management console.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

What if you just select it and press the Delete key?

Graeme wrote:
> I recently had to rebuild one of the domains within the
> company. When I went to configure the DNS, however, I
> found that I couldn't get it to work properly. In the
> Forward Lookup Zones, the domain is registered but the
> _msdcs, _sites, _tcp and _udp folders are all missing. On
> the same level as the Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones,
> there is a folder called Cached Lookups, which contains
> a .(dot) zone. I understand that I should delete this to
> enable forwarding (which is what I want to do) but there
> is no Delete option when I right click on it. I have
> tried stopping and starting the Netlogon service but it
> did no good. Can anyone offer me any assistance?
>
> Best wishes
> Graeme

In news:20db901c459de$6fdc8030$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Graeme <g.sutherland@DELETEkildrummy.co.uk> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> I recently had to rebuild one of the domains within the
> company. When I went to configure the DNS, however, I
> found that I couldn't get it to work properly. In the
> Forward Lookup Zones, the domain is registered but the
> _msdcs, _sites, _tcp and _udp folders are all missing. On
> the same level as the Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones,
> there is a folder called Cached Lookups, which contains
> a .(dot) zone. I understand that I should delete this to
> enable forwarding (which is what I want to do) but there
> is no Delete option when I right click on it. I have
> tried stopping and starting the Netlogon service but it
> did no good. Can anyone offer me any assistance?
>
> Best wishes
> Graeme

As for the dot zone, as Kevin said, that's in the cache lookups, which is
shown only if you are in Advanced View. Get out of Advanced View before it
makes you go crazy.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:
> In news:20db901c459de$6fdc8030$a501280a@phx.gbl,
> Graeme <g.sutherland@DELETEkildrummy.co.uk> posted their thoughts,
> then I offered mine
>> I recently had to rebuild one of the domains within the
>> company. When I went to configure the DNS, however, I
>> found that I couldn't get it to work properly. In the
>> Forward Lookup Zones, the domain is registered but the
>> _msdcs, _sites, _tcp and _udp folders are all missing. On
>> the same level as the Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones,
>> there is a folder called Cached Lookups, which contains
>> a .(dot) zone. I understand that I should delete this to
>> enable forwarding (which is what I want to do) but there
>> is no Delete option when I right click on it. I have
>> tried stopping and starting the Netlogon service but it
>> did no good. Can anyone offer me any assistance?
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Graeme
>
> As for the dot zone, as Kevin said, that's in the cache lookups,
> which is shown only if you are in Advanced View. Get out of Advanced
> View before it makes you go crazy.

<reminds herself to learn how to read>

In news:OxCoC2sWEHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> posted their
thoughts, then I offered mine

>> As for the dot zone, as Kevin said, that's in the cache lookups,
>> which is shown only if you are in Advanced View. Get out of Advanced
>> View before it makes you go crazy.
>
> <reminds herself to learn how to read>

Cheers Lanwench! :)
If its any consolation, I do that alot as well! :)

--

Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:
> In news:OxCoC2sWEHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> posted
> their thoughts, then I offered mine
>>>
>>> As for the dot zone, as Kevin said, that's in the cache lookups,
>>> which is shown only if you are in Advanced View. Get out of Advanced
>>> View before it makes you go crazy.
>>
>> <reminds herself to learn how to read>
>
> Cheers Lanwench! :)
> If its any consolation, I do that alot as well! :)

<g>