NETLOGON event 5781

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Hello,
I am receiving a NETLOGON 5781 event on my Windows 2000
domain/DNS/DHCP server. The description is

"Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more
DNS records failed because no DNS servers are available".

In Knowledge Base Article 259277, "Troubleshooting
Netlogon event 5774, 5775, and 5781", they say that this
event can happen when the Netlogon service starts before
the DNS server; the event happens a number of times per
day, so this isn't the case.
The other reason the article says this can happen is if
the domain controller references itself in TCP/IP setup.

I was under the impression that DNS wouldn't work
correctly unless the server looked to itself for DNS..?
Is the DNS service only supposed to be used on non-domain
controllers?

Thanks!

Mike

Splendid

I just did this today. when I removed the DNS entry
windows stated it would use the assigned. So far so good,
but haven't rebooted server yet.

are you pointing to this same DNS server for dns
resolution on this server under preffered DNS TCP/IP
settings. that can cause it.
KB 300202

kiani

In news:2090c01c459fc$5950e180$a601280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> are you pointing to this same DNS server for dns
> resolution on this server under preffered DNS TCP/IP
> settings. that can cause it.
> KB 300202
>
> kiani

Single label name domain name can cause this as well.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

thanks for the suggestion, but the domain is not a single
label domain name.

KB 300202 explicitly says that "Windows 2000-based DNS
servers should point to themselves for DNS". However, KB
259277, the article specifically for the errors I'm
seeing, says "Make sure that domain controllers do not
reference themselves as a primary DNS server in the
TCP/IP properties".

These two KB's appear to me to conflict with each other.
Thanks!

In news:23ad801c45ea9$1bc36250$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Brian in <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> thanks for the suggestion, but the domain is not a single
> label domain name.
>
> KB 300202 explicitly says that "Windows 2000-based DNS
> servers should point to themselves for DNS". However, KB
> 259277, the article specifically for the errors I'm
> seeing, says "Make sure that domain controllers do not
> reference themselves as a primary DNS server in the
> TCP/IP properties".
>
> These two KB's appear to me to conflict with each other.
> Thanks!

Conflicting? Well, yes and no. In a single server scenario, point only to
yourself. Even if mutliple NICs. In a multi DC scenario, point the first to
the partner and the second to itself on both machines. If more than 2 DC/DNS
servers, then mix and match them pointing to one of the others as the first
address. This eliminates a condition called the "Island Effect" (as the
article states). SP2 fixed it, but then again, we all follow this now for
best practice!

:)

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup so all