event id 5504 & 5506

Mike

Splendid

kb articles on event id in subject line aren't very useful
at least to tell why I am getting these warnings. I am
currently attempting to get hot fix for event 5504 as
stated in kb838969. Anyone know why one would receive
these warning messages? Any known issues with applying
the hotfix? The following is the description in the event
log: 5504 - The DNS server encountered an invalid domain
name in a packet from 66.45.12.197. The packet is
rejected.

5506 - The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name
offset in a packet. The offset is the error.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,
You can apply this hotfix there is no problem in that
jsut make sure that forwarders are congfigured correctly
because we can get the same kind of event ID when there is no problem just
configuration problem of forwarders

This hotfix is for the bug in the DNS

Abhijeet Nigam