Many 9x clients

I've just inherited a network - the clients on the domain point at the
ISP for DNS. Most of the clients (80%) are Windows 9x.

At the moment the DC has AD integrated zones but is set up as caching
only. WINS is used for name resolution of clients.

My question is will these clients benefit by pointing to the DC for
DNS?
I'm worried about slowing the network - the DC also has SQL on it.

Any pointers much appreciated!

Tharg wrote:
> I've just inherited a network - the clients on the domain point at the
> ISP for DNS. Most of the clients (80%) are Windows 9x.
>
> At the moment the DC has AD integrated zones but is set up as caching
> only. WINS is used for name resolution of clients.
>
> My question is will these clients benefit by pointing to the DC for
> DNS?
> I'm worried about slowing the network - the DC also has SQL on it.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated!

Point all the workstations (regardless of OS version) at only your DC/DNS
server for resolution (with forwarders set on your DNS server for external
resolution).
Set DNS to lookup to WINS.
Don't have any workstation or server reference any external IPs in their IP
config.

In news:3b727f5b.0406240728.152f8885@posting.google.com,
Tharg <pne@eircom.net> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> I've just inherited a network - the clients on the domain point at the
> ISP for DNS. Most of the clients (80%) are Windows 9x.
>
> At the moment the DC has AD integrated zones but is set up as caching
> only. WINS is used for name resolution of clients.
>
> My question is will these clients benefit by pointing to the DC for
> DNS?
> I'm worried about slowing the network - the DC also has SQL on it.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated!

In addition to Lanwench's recommendations (which should be followed), I do
not understand what you mean that this DNS server is a caching only server?
A caching only server is setup with NO zones. But since its your AD DNS
server, that doesn;t seem likely. Can you elaborate please?

Also, I would highly suggest, if at all possible, to yank SQL off the DC.
Reason is that on a DC, write behind cache is disabled to faciliate
transactional logging for the AD database. This setting results in about a
10% hit in resources. Load it up with Exchange and/or SQL, then we've got a
huge load. DCs are not recommended platforms for any intensive apps such as
these, (besides being a security risk) other than being that its ok to run
DHCP, DNS or WINS on it.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --