dns upgrade failed during W2k upgrade

When I upgraded my server to W2k, DNS failed to update to
the current version. Presently, I cannot use NT 4.0 DNS
Manager nor the MMC DNS console to view my DNS. How can
I view the DNS and how can I upgrade it to the W2k
version? The error message during the upgrade stated
that DNS already existed.

In news:2126b01c45a21$9cea5500$a401280a@phx.gbl,
Kathy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> When I upgraded my server to W2k, DNS failed to update to
> the current version. Presently, I cannot use NT 4.0 DNS
> Manager nor the MMC DNS console to view my DNS. How can
> I view the DNS and how can I upgrade it to the W2k
> version? The error message during the upgrade stated
> that DNS already existed.

Well, if W2k upgraded the machine from NT4, then I'm going to say that
everything else got updated as well, including DNS. Curious, where did you
see that message, during the DCPROMO process? If so, then opt not to install
DNS since it's already installed.

Is this a DC?

What error are you getting when you open up the DNS console?

What event log errors are there?

If you feel that there's a problem with DNS, you can remove DNS from
Add/Remove, then reinstall it. No need to restart the machine. Make sure you
have the latest service packs installed.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

I saw the error during the upgrade. I will try
uninstalling and reinstalling DNS today. No errors in
the event log for DNS. But my RAS 2003 server will no
longer connect to it. Can't find Active Directory. And
since the DNS problem is the only one I can find, I
figure that's the problem. I installed the latest
service packs Thursday.

Thanks for your help.

In news:224bd01c45d06$625e7140$a401280a@phx.gbl,
Kathy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> I saw the error during the upgrade. I will try
> uninstalling and reinstalling DNS today. No errors in
> the event log for DNS. But my RAS 2003 server will no
> longer connect to it. Can't find Active Directory. And
> since the DNS problem is the only one I can find, I
> figure that's the problem. I installed the latest
> service packs Thursday.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Hi Kathy,

Can I see an ipconfig /all from the DC and from the RRAS server please?