maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
well i might invest in one of these, but before i do that... i need to research so here are my questions:

is it safe to run this on a regular basis as much as you would use a computer normally?

would it be fine if i left me E6600 at 4Ghz with the mach GT running for years at a time?

has anyone had any experiance with this system and if so how did it turn out? is it worth it etc..?

if i only want an E6600 oc'ed to 4Ghz would it just be better to get a wc system?

thanks

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I wonder about the same thing with the cooling, however I am pretty sure a high overclock over a long period of time, even with proper cooling would easily tear a processor to bits and severely shorten its lifespan.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I would think that a long period of time would be the years that you speak of. Overclocking, at least to the extreme you speak of, generally is a once in a while thing that most silicon can't handle. Now a more modest overclock may last much longer, but at 4 ghz you are pretty well pushing the limit.

Think about it this way: top-fuel dragsters are arguably some of the fastest piston driven land vehicles in the world. Cool. All this power comes at a price: The engine has to be completely rebuilt every 2-3 runs, sometimes every run, just because of all the parts being stressed far beyond their conventional limits. Similar issue here.

You also have to take into account the longevity of the cooler. I don't know any stats about such thing, but I am not sure if they are designed for 24-7 cooling for years straight. This obvously would cause a failure eventually in one part, and so the rest of the system.

Just for reference, isn't the 6600 somewhere in the high 2ghz range?

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
well then lets change what i said earlier and clarify a bit. when i said for years i meant say 2, and it litterly wouldnt be 24/7, it would be regular computer use..

but say an oc to 3.8 or 3.6, how would that fair?

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
It would probably fair much better, especially the EE versions are clocked at 3.66 (aren't they?). I am fairly certain that the silicon in these processors are going to be fairly robust, so within the timespan you mention, and with the cooling you mention, it should be fine. But near the end of the time, your computer may start acting strangely and start imploding on itself.

Of course, you may be lucky and get a really good one and it could theoretically run for a decade before seeing a glimpse of trouble.

Thats the problem with these things, they are so unpredictable (huh, exceeding manufacturers specifications - unpredictable? who woulda thought? :roll: ). Just give it your best shot and hopefully you will come out a winner.

Personally, I think it is safe to say that you should be able to do it, especially at 3.6. I would push it to 3.8 on special occasions (lan parties and whatnot) and just normally run it at 3.6, just to have better longevity out of the system and not have to replace such a large investment so often.

Of you are going to do it, good luck. If you are thinking of doing it, do it and then tell us your results. I think there would be some interest in that kind of information here.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I dont think ocing hurts the cpu at all, I have the xp3200 oc,ed since I bought it. That is with the following installed. First was a water cooler, second was a homemade chiller made from a waterfountian.
Mistakes made during the years was, condensation, way to much volts but the strange thing is the CPU works great even today.
The trick is knowing the CPU and Mother board limits.Now the phase changer, if you are carefull with condensation and insulate the CPU you wont have a problem but really I think with cpus using lessor power you should'nd need a phase changer with a WC like the mach

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
ahh thx very cool, and i feel a little better now :D and yea ill tell everyone how it goes if i decide to do it.. though i might wait a tiny bit longer for the OCZ phase changer which is a ton cheap ($500)..

and maybe to keep it even more safe i might go down to 3.4 or something :wink: ..

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Build one of these dude it is the best cooling system I have seen today the extra air flow really helps and in combo with a great water cooler like the mach it will do the trick. Mine is a hack job but works real great.
im0009753ba.jpg

moni6my.png

power3lx.png

top0014pl.jpg

twin6bi.png

As you can see the temps, running several programs that includes bf running in the back ground and media player, writing to toms and taking pic and editing a globe.