Reverse DNS lookup zone - stale records

My forward lookup zone seems to be very clean, not having
any stale records. However, my reverse lookup zone has a
ton, many names for one ip address.

I've ran the scavenge process but it is still not
cleaning them.

Any ideas??

any help would be appreciated.

In news:2122601c45a22$08815ca0$a501280a@phx.gbl,
AJD <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> My forward lookup zone seems to be very clean, not having
> any stale records. However, my reverse lookup zone has a
> ton, many names for one ip address.
>
> I've ran the scavenge process but it is still not
> cleaning them.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> any help would be appreciated.

You may have to manually clean them up if you believe the scavenge process
ran and did't clean them up. Sometimes that can be caused by if you
statically created the records.

296116 - HOW TO Configure the Windows 2000 Domain Name System to Age
Records:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296116

301644 - DNS Server Forced Scavenge Does Not Immediately Start Zone
Scavenging:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B301644

306780 - DHCP Does Not Delete DDNS PTR Record for Expired Leases:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306780&Product=win2000

How to use DNS aging and scavenging:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/advanced/help/sag_DNS_pro_ConfigAgingScavengingNode.htm

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --