Reverse DNS lookup zone - stale records

My forward lookup zone seems to be very clean, not having
any stale records. However, my reverse lookup zone has a
ton, many names for one ip address.

I've ran the scavenge process but it is still not
cleaning them.

Any ideas??

any help would be appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about reverse lookup zone stale records

    In news:2122601c45a22$08815ca0$a501280a@phx.gbl,
    AJD <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
    offered mine
    > My forward lookup zone seems to be very clean, not having
    > any stale records. However, my reverse lookup zone has a
    > ton, many names for one ip address.
    >
    > I've ran the scavenge process but it is still not
    > cleaning them.
    >
    > Any ideas??
    >
    > any help would be appreciated.

    You may have to manually clean them up if you believe the scavenge process
    ran and did't clean them up. Sometimes that can be caused by if you
    statically created the records.

    296116 - HOW TO Configure the Windows 2000 Domain Name System to Age
    Records:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296116

    301644 - DNS Server Forced Scavenge Does Not Immediately Start Zone
    Scavenging:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B301644

    306780 - DHCP Does Not Delete DDNS PTR Record for Expired Leases:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306780&Product=win2000

    How to use DNS aging and scavenging:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/advanced/help/sag_DNS_pro_ConfigAgingScavengingNode.htm

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --

IP Address Microsoft DNS Windows