Sign in with
Your question

Major Computer Prob. Please Help.

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2006 6:02:06 AM

I have a just built computer that I installed windows on probably 3 days ago, for those 3 days the computer worked fine. But then out of nowhere a game that I just installed (Oblivion) started crashing and other games also started to crash too. I had no idea what it could be since nothing had changed and nothing was overclocked so I tried uninstalling the game and when I tried to reinstall it there were errors in the installation. Something like certain files couldn't be copied and such. So I gave up and I tried reinstalling some different drivers where the same problem started to show up. I eventually decided to reformat the drive and reinstall windows(not that big a deal since its a new install). But during the installation of windows these same problems came up where certain files could not be copied and windows can never get fully installed.

Could someone please advise me on what this could be. I'm scared that its a hardware problem but I have no idea.

My Build:
Asus M2NE Nforce5 chipset
AM2 AMD X2 4200+
Corsair XMS dual channel 2x1GB
ATI HIS X1900XT 512mb
150GB WD Raptor
Samsung dvd rw

More about : major computer prob

August 12, 2006 6:36:26 AM

Quote:
I have a just built computer that I installed windows on probably 3 days ago, for those 3 days the computer worked fine. But then out of nowhere a game that I just installed (Oblivion) started crashing and other games also started to crash too. I had no idea what it could be since nothing had changed and nothing was overclocked so I tried uninstalling the game and when I tried to reinstall it there were errors in the installation. Something like certain files couldn't be copied and such. So I gave up and I tried reinstalling some different drivers where the same problem started to show up. I eventually decided to reformat the drive and reinstall windows(not that big a deal since its a new install). But during the installation of windows these same problems came up where certain files could not be copied and windows can never get fully installed.

Could someone please advise me on what this could be. I'm scared that its a hardware problem but I have no idea.

My Build:
AM2 AMD X2 4200+
ATI HIS X1900XT 512mb
150GB WD Raptor
Samsung dvd rw

From what you've said, the two most likely possibilities are,

1. There is bad memory in your system.
2. Your hard drive is having problems. It is either failing or has developed bad sectors (which have not been marked as such by a complete HDD format)

You can download memtest to test your memory. As far as testing the hard drive, you can boot into the recovery console from a Windows XP installation CD. From the recovery console type "chkdsk c: /r" (presuming that your hard drive is formatted and is assigned drive C). Check disk will tell you if there are bad sectors once it is done scanning the drive.

HTH.
August 12, 2006 7:03:23 AM

Bad memory would cause those things to happen. If you do not have the memory set at correct speed and not default that is a possible cause also one in which I had expreienced before where I would get into unreal 2k4 and other games would just crash after a few minutes play.
Related resources
August 12, 2006 6:17:45 PM

Thanks for the help. Another thing I forgot to mention, I got all the window files copied to the computer by skipping the ones it couldnt copy but then during installation it would say some error about not being able to install a disk drive device or something. Just wondering if that means anything special. Sounds like its my harddrive though I'll run chkdisk.

Edit: I just ran chkdsk and it says one or more errors have been found. How do I fix this? I've reformated many times.
August 12, 2006 6:58:25 PM

I recently build my main system around a M2N-E.

2 Things where needed before ending the problems of errors and boot failures, install failures....sometimes got to windows and than failed.....almost seems totaly random...

Anyways....

1) Most M2N-E boards currently sold (Goes for entire M2N series as I understood from the ASUS website) are using BIOS revision 0103.

This revision has compatibility problems with the X2 CPU's.
Load BIOS Revision 0203.

(Warning, load this new BIOS the old fashion way: boot disk, BIOS file, and the AWDFLASH.EXE file.....ASUS indicates you could run into problems using EZ Flash and the other new flash option from within windows)
I've seen one guy on these forums who said to have used EZ flash and it hung half way........leaving him with a inoperable BIOS.

2) M2N-E strangly enough recognized my Corsair DDR2 - 800 as DDR2 667 with very strange timings on AUTO settings.
Only after setting DRAM to DDR2-800 manually and setting the timings manually according to the corsair specsheets aswell as setting the DRAM voltage settings according to the corsair specsheets, the PC started working.

After these 2 Changes it was all gooodddd
August 12, 2006 7:15:36 PM

Yeah maybe I should have done that earlier, seems to have caused a problem. Memtest says I have bad memory. But only one stick, I am currently trying to reistall only using the one good stick.
August 12, 2006 10:51:56 PM

Hey thanks alot man, I was about to return my memory because I thought it was bad but from what ur saying it looks like just a bios issue. Saves alot of trouble thanks!
August 13, 2006 2:35:42 AM

Well nvm on that, I did all of that and memory is still bad. Oh well hopefully newegg returns good.
August 13, 2006 2:49:56 AM

Your memory may actually be bad but, if I were you, I would test it using memtest. That way you can be certain it is the memory.

Also, I would check the memory manufacturer's web site to find out if that memory is actually compatible with the motherboard you have. This is probably the first thing to do if you haven't done it already.

HTH.
August 13, 2006 3:20:34 AM

Ya memtest shows bad memory (only one stick).
August 13, 2006 4:03:42 AM

Quote:

My Build:
AM2 AMD X2 4200+
ATI HIS X1900XT 512mb
150GB WD Raptor
Samsung dvd rw

It could be that you have not activated windows and updated all the stuff windows update will do once you have activated including installing directx.
August 13, 2006 4:17:18 AM

I was wondering since I installed windows under the old bios does that make a difference? Should I reinstall with the new bios, I'm really getting tired of reinstalling windows.
August 13, 2006 5:29:34 AM

You don't have to re=install Windows if you update the Bios. However if you havn;t re-installed since your last re-install (the Windows where you were skipiing all the bad files) then I suggest you re-install clean with the one good stick of memory for now. You can always slip in the 2nd stick later---just make sure you don't activate until you have the 2nd stick of memory installed and the system is stress tested.
August 13, 2006 5:44:59 AM

Quote:

My Build:
AM2 AMD X2 4200+
ATI HIS X1900XT 512mb
150GB WD Raptor
Samsung dvd rw

From what you've said, the two most likely possibilities are,

1. There is bad memory in your system.
2. Your hard drive is having problems. It is either failing or has developed bad sectors (which have not been marked as such by a complete HDD format)

You can download memtest to test your memory. As far as testing the hard drive, you can boot into the recovery console from a Windows XP installation CD. From the recovery console type "chkdsk c: /r" (presuming that your hard drive is formatted and is assigned drive C). Check disk will tell you if there are bad sectors once it is done scanning the drive.

HTH.

you forgot the psu......could be a underpowered psu
August 13, 2006 11:17:10 AM

Ehm ........I see you updated BIOS......but did you also set the DRAM timings manually in the BIOS according to the memories specsheet?

Cause that is the key with the M2N-E to get rid of memory error messages or bad memory errors during tests on good memory sticks.

EDIT: Yes re-install, when you made sure RAM is working properly.
August 13, 2006 11:48:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Another thing I forgot to mention, I got all the window files copied to the computer by skipping the ones it couldnt copy but then during installation it would say some error about not being able to install a disk drive device or something. Just wondering if that means anything special. Sounds like its my harddrive though I'll run chkdisk.

Edit: I just ran chkdsk and it says one or more errors have been found. How do I fix this? I've reformated many times.

You can't skip files during initial install.........you see the results........reflash bios..........check all connections.........check memory..........then try to do a reinstall.....if you still have problem........then it definitely hardware related...
August 13, 2006 12:29:46 PM

Quote:

You can't skip files during initial install.........you see the results........reflash bios..........check all connections.........check memory..........then try to do a reinstall.....if you still have problem........then it definitely hardware related...

MEMTEST.....tests the memory modules...no need for scandisk....you have a new hdd and i suppose it works just fine....usually when hdd problems appear you are able to hear mechanical sounds .. whenever you hear a strong or strange mechanical sound and the computer jams, then you have a dead hdd otherwise don`t blame a perfectly good hdd...
your problem is either Memory or PSU related.....
August 13, 2006 6:31:18 PM

Quote:
Ehm ........I see you updated BIOS......but did you also set the DRAM timings manually in the BIOS according to the memories specsheet?

Cause that is the key with the M2N-E to get rid of memory error messages or bad memory errors during tests on good memory sticks.

EDIT: Yes re-install, when you made sure RAM is working properly.

Yes I set timings correctly and still many errors on memtest, I think I'm going to go buy two sticks of memory today and test those out. I can really tell the difference with only one gig of RAM.
August 13, 2006 7:10:22 PM

good idea......and in that case......timings set...bios updated...ya....prolly is bad ram........
!