Sign in with
Your question

What is best OC'ing MoBo with at least 8-phase power

Last response: in Overclocking
August 12, 2006 6:07:40 AM

I have noticed that most people lean toward the P5W DH Deluxe or the P5WD2-E Premium. I suppose for the duel x16 slots. I was thinking about the P5B deluxe WiFi, since reading the ASUS forums it seemed to have the LEAST amout of problems. Yet I realize that this may simply be because it is soo new and/or the nubs buying it??

Any thoughts Ideas as to which (minimum 8-phase pwr reg) mobo is best? Especially you Wussy, you seem to know alot about hardware. <3. Im just an ASUS fan that has heard alot about a gigabye mobo that has 12-phase power regulation and is highly OC'able. Looking for enlightenment.

I want opinions on a solid base (motherboard) for my new system and of course will need compatable memory advice since I hear way to many sob stories about peeps buying sticks that dont work on the mobo they bought. And want it cheap. Looking at 1 GB(2x512) corsairs for around $100

Of course Im looking at 775 so that when core Duo is cheaper I can drop one in. Have had lengthy discussion regarding the possibility of OC'ing a D 805 with a CNPS9500, but now conceed I may be better off starting with a cheaper(yet Better) 120mm HS and a Pentium D 915 for its 65nm core and 2 x 2Mb L2. May still go with the 9500 cause its smaller and looks kewl. The blue matches the rest of my system.

Thanks in advance.

More about : ing mobo phase power

August 12, 2006 7:58:54 PM

Just buying that mobo is killing my budget. But a solid foundation is a must. So other parts need to be cheap for now. I was llooking at around $100 for memory. 1 gig should suffice for now. Any suggestions? Im looking at Corsair 2x512 $99
August 13, 2006 12:30:33 AM

Hehe just had to bring that up hunh...hehe :) . remember I never actually said I was going to get that for sure. If I go with a Ninja for $38 at Xoxide.com I can use extra money for a D 915?? its only $137 at newegg.

I really dont plan on using vista untill the crackers get ahold of it and tear it apart, then Microsoft patches it back togather. Then Ill think about it.
Related resources
August 13, 2006 5:24:45 AM

Yes I WANT 2x1GB but that fact remains it may not be in the budget. Im looking at over $500 and havent even considered video yet. 7900GT and 2 gigs of is gonna put me at 8 hundred...
August 13, 2006 6:50:37 AM

Wusy;

Is there anything wrong with the Asus P5B deluxe? The one the THG used for the overclocking tests vs. FX-62. Just wondering because thats what I picked up, if there is something wrong with it I might look into returning it and getting a new board.
August 13, 2006 1:18:30 PM

The only thing about the gigabyte is it only has 5-phase power regulation and Im concerned about long term stability. Not to say that it wont be stable and be able to deliver the power required for a high overclock. Just saying that with 8 and 12-phase regulation out there I figured I might as well get one of those if I can. Then again going top of the line for another $100 on one component might not be doable. Ehh whatever.. by the time I get the dough to buy the components Im sure the prices will be down a little
August 13, 2006 6:18:36 PM

Yea I heard that DQ6 is HIGHLY overclockable but at $280...uuuhhhhh....probably not
August 14, 2006 3:00:16 AM

Hey,

I currently have the P5W DH Deluxe installed on my system below with E6400 (my E6600 ships tomorrow, fingers crossed). Windows install from CD to desktop <14 minutes. That was pretty cool. I think on my Opty 165 or my 4400+ was about 20 minutes average.

I too had a bad time with the RAM as a lot of people have had. I originally ordered the OCZ gold thinking was a good $/performance without thoroughly researching DDR2. It seems that the leading RAM changes almost everyday. What I did was buy 1 stick of Kingston DDR533 to get my system running and update the bios last Friday. Even with the newest Bios 0902(me thinks) the OCZ Gold was a "NO GO". My Crucial DDR800 in my sig will be arriving tomorrow. Even with the E6400 and meager DDR 1GB 533, my system as you can see did clean-up job of XP install. I know the install speed is also largely due to the 4 Raptors I have installed in Raid0.

The Raid actually is the only gripe I have so far. I installed (4) 150 raptors in Raid0 array using 64K(I was tempted to do 128 and may just do it for testing purposes). I was expecting to see at least 300Mb/s on HDtach. I have seen reviews on the web that substantiate these speeds with 4 Raptors scaled together!

I will post my HDTach scores later if anyone is interested. It seemed the data speed was very erratic compared to when I ran it with (2) Raptor 150's and my AMD systems. The worst part was my average speed was 144MB/s. I'm thinking this could be a problem with the Raid drivers on these boards. Does anyone have any suggestions? Possibly another program with better tests I could run to see if there is a problem with the drivers.

I will say that my overall speed has greatly increased. I play D&D:Stormreach online in 1920x1080 on my 37" 1080P. I had to turn down my graphics "ever-so-slightly" to achieve 40 average FPS with my same current GPU (7900GTX). Now, my average FPS is 70+ and ALL the graphics are completely turned up on my Conroe system. I can't wait to get my E6600 and DDR2 RAM this week because this is the true "real world" results I was hoping to see. I'm just sad to see the numbers my Raid0 is putting up on this board with HDtach.
August 14, 2006 8:22:57 AM

Yea it must be rough on you to have to scrape by with 4 rapters, a 7900GTX, and high end memory on its way....I can see how that would be tough on a person...hehe
August 14, 2006 3:59:58 PM

Solid state hard drive FTW! Well... ftw whenever they don't cost two arms and a leg... we can finally reduce the bottleneck of hard drives (not totally but damn it'll be nice).
!