Simple PTR Record Question

mako

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004

Do I have to use DHCP to register PTR record? I know
newer clients can register A records but I dont think the
register PTR's. Is there anything else I can do to
register them or am I stuck using DHCP. Fixed IP machine
register wy not Dynamic?
-=daveg=-

By default you do not need to have PTR records for your clients as I know.

These records may be used for security reasons by Internet mail servers or
specific applications.

Maybe other peoples know more cases.

Thank you,

Chris P

"Mako" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I have to use DHCP to register PTR record? I know
> newer clients can register A records but I dont think the
> register PTR's. Is there anything else I can do to
> register them or am I stuck using DHCP. Fixed IP machine
> register wy not Dynamic?
> -=daveg=-

I need PTR's for legato backups and Unix RSH command.
-=daveg=-

In news:20c2f01c45a36$1df33b30$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Mako <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> Do I have to use DHCP to register PTR record? I know
> newer clients can register A records but I dont think the
> register PTR's. Is there anything else I can do to
> register them or am I stuck using DHCP. Fixed IP machine
> register wy not Dynamic?
> -=daveg=-

If you need reverse lookups, the PTR records are auto registered by W2k and
newer machines. Make sure the zone is allowing dynamic updates.

Based on DHCP Option 081, DHCP will register the client's IP and the client
will register the reverse. You can force DHCP to update the clients. That's
under DHCP properties, DNS tab (which are the settings for Option 081).

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

Thanks for your response. The client is set to register
in DNS but I beleive it only registers A records. What do
I need to look at to make sure that the PTR gets
registered? Or are you thinking that uf the client has
the check box checked in the DNS section of the TCP/IP
protocol that it should register both.
-=daveg=-

In news:2153501c45aa9$c74e0b10$a101280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> Thanks for your response. The client is set to register
> in DNS but I beleive it only registers A records. What do
> I need to look at to make sure that the PTR gets
> registered? Or are you thinking that uf the client has
> the check box checked in the DNS section of the TCP/IP
> protocol that it should register both.
> -=daveg=-

Few thing govern registration for clients:

For forward lookup zones:
1. Dynamic updates set to at least Yes.
2. Primary DNS Suffix of the client must be spelled exactly as the zone name
in DNS
3. DNS IP addresses in client IP properties is ONLY set to YOUR DNS servers.
4. Checkbox must be checked to allow registration.

For Reverse:
1. The zone is properly created for your subnet that the clients exist on.
2. Dynamic updates set to at least Yes.
3. DNS IP address in client IP properties is ONLY set to YOUR DNS servers.
4. Checkbox must be checked to allow registration.

If the reverse zone is not created properly then I can see why they're not
updating. What is your IP range and how did you create the zone?