Desktop Shortcuts

Fuzzy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

Just recently I am not able to right click on a program in my program list
and create and shortcut to place it on my desktop. Such as Yahoo Messenger -
after uninstalling and reinstalling - I cannot place a shortcut on my
desktop. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This has happened 2
or 3 other times on programs I have uninstalled and reinstalled. Thank you.

If your right click menu is missing.....

XP Start Menu >>
Right click the Start button | Properties |
Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced tab |
Scroll down to and Check: ? Enable dragging and dropping |
OK | OK

Classic Start Menu >>
Right click the Start button | Properties |
Start Menu tab | Customize button |
Scroll down to and Check: ? Enable dragging and dropping |
OK | OK

[[Specifies whether you can drag items to the Start
menu.]] Also disables right click menu if UNChecked.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:83B6656C-D024-413E-89CF-5BDA301AC750@microsoft.com,
Fuzzy <Fuzzy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Just recently I am not able to right click on a program in my program
> list and create and shortcut to place it on my desktop. Such as
> Yahoo Messenger - after uninstalling and reinstalling - I cannot
> place a shortcut on my desktop. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated. This has happened 2 or 3 other times on programs I have
> uninstalled and reinstalled. Thank you.

Fuzzy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

Thank you Wes for your quick response - I changed my view to "Classic" and
now my "right click" menus are available and I was able to put a shortcut on
my desktop for Yahoo. I did check for "dragging and dropping" and it was
already checked. So I guess all is well that ends well. Thank you again and
have a great day.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> If your right click menu is missing.....
>
> XP Start Menu >>
> Right click the Start button | Properties |
> Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced tab |
> Scroll down to and Check: Â? Enable dragging and dropping |
> OK | OK
>
> Classic Start Menu >>
> Right click the Start button | Properties |
> Start Menu tab | Customize button |
> Scroll down to and Check: Â? Enable dragging and dropping |
> OK | OK
>
> [[Specifies whether you can drag items to the Start
> menu.]] Also disables right click menu if UNChecked.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:83B6656C-D024-413E-89CF-5BDA301AC750@microsoft.com,
> Fuzzy <Fuzzy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Just recently I am not able to right click on a program in my program
> > list and create and shortcut to place it on my desktop. Such as
> > Yahoo Messenger - after uninstalling and reinstalling - I cannot
> > place a shortcut on my desktop. Any suggestions would be greatly
> > appreciated. This has happened 2 or 3 other times on programs I have
> > uninstalled and reinstalled. Thank you.

You didn't have to change the Start Menu to Classic, but whatever. It's
what I use.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes