DNS Record Question

ali

Hi,

I've set up one computer with windows2000 server (with AD installed ) , and
another one, as a member server, hosting my website. I have also opened the
port on the firewall to point to the web server's ip.

The problem is, for users inside our Network, they cannot just type the
domain name and get the website, instead, they have to type in it as
http://machinename.domainname.com

How do i set an entry in the DNS (and what entry), to enable users to type
in the domain name, and get sent to the webserver?

Thanks,

Ash

Two problems. First, I would not use same dns zone for both public and
private addresses. Second, the reason your internal users can not connect
(but probably can resolve) to the IP is NAT issue that the private NAT
interface does not NAT the LAN side. Solution is to keep all internal DNS
private. Your public zone should be on another server in your DMZ or behind
your firewall. A real easy solution is have your Registrar host your public
records (most are free or cheap with cost of registration.) This saves you
from $ of another server and maintaining it, etc.

--
William Stacey, MVP

"Ali" <aliasgerj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've set up one computer with windows2000 server (with AD installed ) ,
and
> another one, as a member server, hosting my website. I have also opened
the
> port on the firewall to point to the web server's ip.
>
> The problem is, for users inside our Network, they cannot just type the
> domain name and get the website, instead, they have to type in it as
> http://machinename.domainname.com
>
> How do i set an entry in the DNS (and what entry), to enable users to type
> in the domain name, and get sent to the webserver?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ash

In news:easOB7rWEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Ali <aliasgerj@hotmail.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi,
>
> I've set up one computer with windows2000 server (with AD installed )
> , and another one, as a member server, hosting my website. I have
> also opened the port on the firewall to point to the web server's ip.
>
> The problem is, for users inside our Network, they cannot just type
> the domain name and get the website, instead, they have to type in it
> as http://machinename.domainname.com

That is because the DCs own all the records for domainname.com and these
records have IP addresses for the DCs. This behavior must not change, this
record is required for access to the Domain DFS SYSVOL share at
\\domainname.com\SYSVOL this is where your members get their Group Policies
in the \\domainname.com\SYSVOL\domainname.com\policies share. If you change
it to the IP of the member server, your clients will look to the member
server for the SYSVOL share and it won't be there and you'll see userenv
errors in the log.

> How do i set an entry in the DNS (and what entry), to enable users to
> type in the domain name, and get sent to the webserver?

You can't this record must point to the IP of DCs, you can create a record
named something like "intranet" or "corp" and give it the IP of the website.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Hi,

I am just wondering what this solution was? I have a
similar situation where my 2003 server is not resolving
DNS correctly when it sends Email from Exchange. I am
using the correct DNS servers provided by the ISP. I
thought it was pretty strait-forward and you just use the
DNS servers as the primary and secondary servers on the
Domain Controller and then also enter them as a forward
lookup in DNS. But when I do that I still get error's
from the server that say "SMTP could not connect to any
DNS server. Either none are configured, or all are down."
and another Event says "SMTP could not connect to the DNS
server '209.142.64.253'. The protocol used was 'UDP'. It
may be down or inaccessible."

How do I correct this problem? Can someone please help..

That sounds pretty clear. Did you manually check 209.142.54.253 with
nslookup or dig to see if it was up and answering queries?
That is the first place I would start for all your dns server IPs you may
have.

--
William Stacey, MVP

"IamAmer1can@hotmail.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in