Moving DHCP servers to another domain

I have two forest that have complete trust relationship
between the two. I am moving the DHCP server from the
original (Mixed mode domain to the new Native 2000
domain). Will I experience any problems?

In news:210f601c45ac1$3ed6f7c0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
David Mann <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then
I offered mine
> I have two forest that have complete trust relationship
> between the two. I am moving the DHCP server from the
> original (Mixed mode domain to the new Native 2000
> domain). Will I experience any problems?

Mode doesn't really have anything to do with it. You shouldn't have any
problems depending on how many users you have and the lease times. Here's
some reading on it. Even though its NT4 to W2k, the ideas still apply.

Moving DHCP from NT4 to W2k - Download details Resource Kit Tool
DHCPExim.exe:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3603ae26-81f0-478a-836c-b31ed463af5e&DisplayLang=en

You can also create the 80/20 rule where the original one has 80% of the IPs
and the new one has 20% of the IPs. Then shorten the lease on the two
servers, then after about a week or so (depending on the lease times) change
it around so thenew one is 80% and then finally change the scope so the new
one has all the IPs.

DHCP 80-20 Rule:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/cnet/cncb_dhc_ogjw.asp

OR

You can just migrate the database to the new server:

Q130642 - How to Move a DHCP Database to Another Windows Server:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=130642

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --

TRENDING THREADS