SATA 3.0 - backwards compatibility stupid question

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I have an old ASUS A7N8XE deluxe MB (on board SATA 1.5) and want to purchase a drive that I can use in a new machine if I end up building one in the future. If I get a new SATA II (3.0 Gb/s) rated HD, will it work w/ this board? Did the interface change (i.e. is a new connector needed) between the SATA and SATA II?

I have to think the answer is yes, but I have no idea!

I am going to stick with wusy on this one..... google it. The one bit of info I will give you though, is that the cables and connectors for both SATA1 and SATA2 drives are the same. As for making the SATA2 drive work on the older interface, i'll let you figure that out for yourself.

seth444

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I was googling this very subject and guess what the first page listed happened to be... yep, this one. :lol: ironic and hilarious at the same time.

Google did provide me with the answer. Unfortunately, Wikipedia failed to provide the answer within their article on SATA. They are usually pretty detailed.

Mannaman

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

I googled it though my query was "sata 3 backwards compatible?" and this thread is what came up.

I've long wondered why people take the time to respond with queries with "Google it" unless that is simply an addendum to their "better" response, and given for the sake of those who haven't yet learned that googling frequently gets far better and more thorough responses than asking a small group of people that might be looking at a thread.

If I sound like "Google it" hits me the wrong way, that's because it does. I always google every question I have and it's quite annoying to take the time to follow a response, only to find the answer is "Google it."

Don't want to piss off the moderator, but even moderators sometimes come off with less than sterling responses.

thunderweasel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I have a SATA 1.5Gb/s motherboard and am using a 500GB Western Digital SATA 3Gb/s drive. The 500GB drive was drop-in compatible. However, I have also just ordered a second 1TB Western Digital SATA 3Gb/s drive, and the new drive requires a jumper setting to operate in 1.5Gb/s mode. But either way, yes, SATA 3Gb/s (AKA SATAII) is fully backward compatible. I'm not sure on SATA 6GB/s (SATAIII) as far as backwards compatibility. I was Googling for that when I ran across this thread.