Navman Vs Mio - Whats the difference?

December 29, 2004 1:45:09 AM

Hi

I'm considering buying either the Navman or the MIO Pocket PC's with the in
built GPS in one. Can anybody tell me the difference between the two models?
Is the software much different between the two? I'm in Sydney, Australia.

Thanks

DM
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 1:45:10 AM

Yes, the software is different. The hardware is the same. Check for the
quality of the maps for your area.

Dale

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

DM,

I've got Navman.

SmartST V2 is OK for Cities and towns in NSW and VIC from what I've
encounted so far, but hopeless for almost any where in Tassie and there are
no points of interest at all for Tassie.

Gordon
"No Spam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm considering buying either the Navman or the MIO Pocket PC's with the
> in
> built GPS in one. Can anybody tell me the difference between the two
> models?
> Is the software much different between the two? I'm in Sydney, Australia.
>
> Thanks
>
> DM

---
December 30, 2004 12:07:59 PM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:17:41 +1100, "FlashGordonDownUnder"
<nospam@downunder.com> wrote:

>SmartST V2 is OK for Cities and towns in NSW and VIC from what I've
>encounted so far, but hopeless for almost any where in Tassie and there are
>no points of interest at all for Tassie.

I'm in Australia also and also have Navman (their GPS sleeve for my
existing iPAQ with SmartST V2 software - updated to the latest SP2
version via their website.

Just around my local area (long-established NW Sydney suburb) I have
found two bad mapping-related mistakes: (1) it wants to recommend a
right turn at a street which has been no right turn for at least 10
years, and (2) it has some streets completely wong - that is it shows
a few streets in one subdivision which simply don't (and never did)
exist, and attempts to route you via them.

I did a test also last week driving from my house to the Sydney Opera
House. All was good _except_ at one critical point on the Gore Hill
Freeway (for non-Sydney people this is the main road southbound into
Sydney city - leads onto the harbour bridge or tunnel to get to the
CBD). Even though the map plotted on the SmartST onscreen display was
correct, the voice navigation told me several times to "keep right",
then suddenly to "bear left" (where the road at that point - where the
Cahill Expressway diverges from Gore Hill Freeway - is about 8 lanes
wide)! If I'd been a tourist who didn't realise that the "keep right"
advice was completely wrong I'd have been in a fair bit of trouble at
that point and would _not_ have reached my destination.

I only bought my GPS unit a month or so ago, specifically with a view
to taking it for a family fly/drive holiday to Tasmania next year, so
your advice that the Tasmanian maps are "hopeless" is a bit of a
disappointment for me (to say the least), and if I'd realised that
would not have bought the unit. BTW I'm not that interested in the
points-of-interest (my wife and kids have pretty-much micro-planned
every day already!), but if the SmartST V2 maps are as bad as you say,
should I leave it at home and just stick to physical roadmaps?

ted.h.
--
Ted Harper (Sydney, Australia)
Anonymous

<nospam@downunder.com> wrote:

>I've got Navman.
>
>SmartST V2 is OK for Cities and towns in NSW and VIC from what I've
>encounted so far, but hopeless for almost any where in Tassie and there are
>no points of interest at all for Tassie.

I emailed Navman Australia a couple of days asking about the
availability and price for SmartST V3 for my existing GPS sleeve. Here
is the response (upgrade price is in $A):

"In regards to your enquiry, the next map data update is due mid
January 2005 with an attached cost of $179.00rrp which will upgrade
both the software and maps. All registered user will be notified via
email indicating availability and how to go about making your purchase
for the updates. Basically they will be distributed by third party
distributors with credit card payment."

ted.h.
--
Ted Harper (Sydney, Australia)