Small Problems with New Conroe Build

grapz

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Ok well my E6300 arrived yestoday and finished building my comp yestoday. It was my first time building a comp too, and everything went well. Installed windows and did sum benchmarks / played some games.

Anyway, the mobo i'm using is Gigabyte DS3. Here are the problems.
One of my harddrive doesnt' show up in my computer. But it shows up in device manager? weird. Another problem is how do i set the RPM of the fans in my computer? My cpu fan is running rather low , around 1000-1300. In addition the fans on the case are connected directly to the PSU, i dont' think i can change speed on those or monitor those right?

Last thing, i have 2 usb ports and 1 firmware port ON MY case. THe cable provided for the USB does not really match the MOBO's usb connection port. THe mobo has like 10 pins, while the USB cable has only 5 :/ And i have no clue where to plug in the firmware to.

Oh and also i've experienced about 2-3 random restarts from my computer yestoday. I'm on stock cooling, my cpu temps are usually around 40 c
thx

muddleclass

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hard drive may need to be initialised. assuming there is no exclamation mark by drive in device manager then go to control panel admin tools computer management storage and you should see the drive there. It will then need to be initialised.

Fan speed on cpu can only be controlled if you have the right software, read manual to see if you do.

USB 10 pins on motherboard are for 2 USB headers. There should be 9 pins 1 of which is a dummy so that you can plug in the connector only one way. Case USB cables can be different but you usually either get 4 times 2 separate pins that you plug in individualy or a 10 pin connector block with 1 pin filled in. If it's not one of those then you may have the wrong cable.

Random re-starts can be anything, check that all connectors are firmly in place. If they are and this continues need to systematically screen out causes by stripping out components one by one. Alternatively may be a software issue.

grapz

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
ok thx, about the random restarts.

i just noticed my graphic card , X1900XT is running at 95 c , that isnt' normal is it

muddleclass

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I don't know what exists for Gigabyte but for example AMD has 'cool and quiet' technology which is controlled by software. Look on the driver disk to see if there is any software for controlling fan speeds through motherboard monitoring. Otherwise as someone else said you can control the speeds manually through a front panel optional extra.

95 degrees is most definietly too hot. How do you know the card temperature? If you are sure this is accurate check to see is the fan on the card not working or the airflow obstructed. That would explain the random restarts. This needs immediate attention as you may damage the card.

TRENDING THREADS