Name servers

Liam

Hi,...

Can anyone answer a quick question..

I have two DNS servers running on Win2000 on DC's.

I have configured DNs to listen for requests only on the
interface IP's for the DNS servers, so we have both
servers listening for requests. All other member servers
and desktops are configured with the Primary and secondary
DNS IP's
Problem is if one of my DNS servers goes down,...then
other servers will still try to contact the DNS server
that has gone down. This will ultimately result in a
delayed response.
Is there a way to set a time-out so if one DNS servers
goes down there is no interuption to requests..?

In news:237bc01c45e88$8b4a92e0$a401280a@phx.gbl,
Liam <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi,...
>
> Can anyone answer a quick question..
>
> I have two DNS servers running on Win2000 on DC's.
>
> I have configured DNs to listen for requests only on the
> interface IP's for the DNS servers, so we have both
> servers listening for requests. All other member servers
> and desktops are configured with the Primary and secondary
> DNS IP's
> Problem is if one of my DNS servers goes down,...then
> other servers will still try to contact the DNS server
> that has gone down. This will ultimately result in a
> delayed response.
> Is there a way to set a time-out so if one DNS servers
> goes down there is no interuption to requests..?

What type of zones are you using on your DNS server? Primary/Secondary or
Active Directory Integrated?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]