Asus Geforce 7900 GT

Iwaap

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Hi,
I've just started building a new system from scratch but I have a problem with my Asus Geforce 7900 GT.
When I boot up the computer I get a "no signal" message and a black screen.
Sometimes (not every time) I get a long beep followed by two short which should mean there's a problem with the graphics card.

I've connceted the card to the PCI Express 16 slot and plugged in the power cord from my PSU (520 W). No hdd or dvd drives connected yet, I want to have the system running first.
Are you supposed to do something else for the card to work?
I know the card isn't completly dead since the fan works.

Could this have anything to do with the connection cable because I have a old cable with a 15 pin head that dosn't fit with the card but there was a converter with the card that you can plug in with the old head so it fits.
But I still get "no signal".

Any help would be appreciated.

Iwaap

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Nevermind, I solved it.

Turns out it wasn't the graphic card at all. I removed one stick of system ram and tried the remaining stick in different slots. Suddenly I saw the boot screen and I was able to enter the bios. Got a blue screen everytime I attempted to install Windows XP though, but someone suggested I lowered the speed of the ram. The bios had it set to 'auto', but when I lowered it to 537 it suddenly worked. I could install and afterwards I inserted the other ram stick and it worked too :)