Host Records with Same IP Addresses

David

We have about 75 computers in our domain, about one third of which connect
remotely thru VPN. Many records contain the same IP address as one or two
other host records (remote hosts always appear in the repeated IP address
record groups). Is this a problem? A couple of host records are repeated,
containing exactly the same host name and IP address. Is that a problem, or
should I delete the extra record? Or will DNS automatically clean up the
records?
Thanks for the help,
David

In news:SXzEc.8870$9l5.393@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com,
David <deaton@nospamever.dsnonline.org> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> We have about 75 computers in our domain, about one third of which
> connect remotely thru VPN. Many records contain the same IP address
> as one or two other host records (remote hosts always appear in the
> repeated IP address record groups). Is this a problem? A couple of
> host records are repeated, containing exactly the same host name and
> IP address. Is that a problem, or should I delete the extra record?
> Or will DNS automatically clean up the records?
> Thanks for the help,
> David

Dynamically created records will have a timestamp on them. If the machine is
know to be a dynamic host, delete the records without a timestamp or if it
has an old timestamp.
DNS will not remove records without a timestamp, DNS considers them static
records.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

David

Name, Type and Data are the only columns available in the DNS MMC, no
timestamp. How do I find the record timestamp?
Thanks again!
David

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> In news:SXzEc.8870$9l5.393@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com,
> David <deaton@nospamever.dsnonline.org> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > We have about 75 computers in our domain, about one third of which
> > connect remotely thru VPN. Many records contain the same IP address
> > as one or two other host records (remote hosts always appear in the
> > repeated IP address record groups). Is this a problem? A couple of
> > host records are repeated, containing exactly the same host name and
> > IP address. Is that a problem, or should I delete the extra record?
> > Or will DNS automatically clean up the records?
> > Thanks for the help,
> > David
>
> Dynamically created records will have a timestamp on them. If the machine
is
> know to be a dynamic host, delete the records without a timestamp or if it
> has an old timestamp.
> DNS will not remove records without a timestamp, DNS considers them static
> records.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:

If you flip the DNS MMC into Advanced mode, the record properties page will
show you the timestamp.

"David" <deaton@nospamever.dsnonline.org> wrote in message
> Name, Type and Data are the only columns available in the DNS MMC, no
> timestamp. How do I find the record timestamp?
> Thanks again!
> David
>
> "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> > In news:SXzEc.8870$9l5.393@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com,
> > David <deaton@nospamever.dsnonline.org> posted a question
> > Then Kevin replied below:
> > > We have about 75 computers in our domain, about one third of which
> > > connect remotely thru VPN. Many records contain the same IP address
> > > as one or two other host records (remote hosts always appear in the
> > > repeated IP address record groups). Is this a problem? A couple of
> > > host records are repeated, containing exactly the same host name and
> > > IP address. Is that a problem, or should I delete the extra record?
> > > Or will DNS automatically clean up the records?
> > > Thanks for the help,
> > > David
> >
> > Dynamically created records will have a timestamp on them. If the
machine
> is
> > know to be a dynamic host, delete the records without a timestamp or if
it
> > has an old timestamp.
> > DNS will not remove records without a timestamp, DNS considers them
static
> > records.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> > Hope This Helps
> > ============================
> > --
> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> > newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> > To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
> > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> > It will strip signature out and more
> > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> > OEBackup:
> > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

David

Thank you so much! And I thought I was already somewhat advanced!