DNS server not aswering to nslookup command????

Dear all,

I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000 server PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is confugure.
Domain name is home.net.

Then I have a client PC running XP that I would like it to join that domain.
From the client I can ping succesfully the DNS server IP, and DHCP is running fine.

Problem I get is that when trying to join the domain is raise an error that it can nor found the domain.

Then I run from the client command nslookup <my Server IP> 127.0.0.1 and at that time DNS server fail to respond.

DNS configuration is set with all default entries, and if I run the TEST querry inside DNS it PASS all of them

ON my client PC I am Administrator

Do I have to add my XP machine inside my Domain Controler ?
Do I have to set a particular account to be able to joind the domain?

What did I miss here ?

Thnaks for your reply
regards
serge
12 answers Last reply
More about server aswering nslookup command

    "serge calderara" <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:141BD03F-D4C5-4859-BDC8-7491DE8DB6AF@microsoft.com...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000 server
    PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is confugure.
    > Domain name is home.net.
    >
    > Then I have a client PC running XP that I would like it to join that
    domain.
    > From the client I can ping succesfully the DNS server IP, and DHCP is
    running fine.

    That might be due to broadcasts unless you are pinging
    the full name server.yourdomain.com. or whatever.

    > Problem I get is that when trying to join the domain is raise an error
    that it can nor found the domain.

    This gives further evdicence that you have a DNS problem.
    ....likely the CLIENT is misconfigured.

    > Then I run from the client command nslookup <my Server IP> 127.0.0.1 and
    at that time DNS server fail to respond.

    And more evidence PERHAPS, but that nslookup command is a
    REVERSE request and I bet you don't have the revere zone set
    up -- and if you are running it from the CLIENT then this is
    more evidence that you don't have DNS CLIENT side configured.

    Try this: nslookup ServerName.yourdomain.com server.IP.addr.ess

    (Put in the DNS server address as the last parameter.)

    If that works you server is fine.

    > DNS configuration is set with all default entries, and if I run the TEST
    querry inside DNS it PASS all of them
    > ON my client PC I am Administrator
    >
    > Do I have to add my XP machine inside my Domain Controler ?

    Not for DNS to work.

    But I bet you forgot to change the CLIENT NIC IP DNS server
    properties to SOLELY the INTERNAL DNS server.

    You really need to do this on that DNS server too - servers are
    DNS clients also.

    If you wish to resolve Internet names also, then use the the
    Forwarding tab of the DNS server to put in the ISPs DNS
    server address.

    > Do I have to set a particular account to be able to joind the domain?

    Admins always can do it, but normally so can users. This is
    NOT your problem though (at least so far).

    > What did I miss here ?

    DNS client NIC settings.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Thnaks for your reply
    > regards
    > serge

    Some more information..

    When I ping my dns server with its full name instead of IP, ping is succesfull
    From client side my Primary DNS server IP is automatically given my DHCP service unning on my server.

    My server adress settings are:
    IP: 192.168.1.20
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 198.168.1.1
    DNS ip: itself (127.0.0.1)

    On my client Xp machine DHCP gives to my adapter card folowing parameters:

    IP : 192.168.1.2
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway:192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.20

    ON both side Gateway adress is an ADSL modem router but I do not car about i for now.

    SO based on that I geus that the client is configure properly as there is nothing mucg I can set here except thos IP settings given by DHCP

    From DNS server side, the reverse zone is the default one that you can see when you select from View - Advanced

    What could I check more from server side ?
    What do you mean by

    regards
    serge

    "Herb Martin" wrote:

    > "serge calderara" <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:141BD03F-D4C5-4859-BDC8-7491DE8DB6AF@microsoft.com...
    > > Dear all,
    > >
    > > I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000 server
    > PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is confugure.
    > > Domain name is home.net.
    > >
    > > Then I have a client PC running XP that I would like it to join that
    > domain.
    > > From the client I can ping succesfully the DNS server IP, and DHCP is
    > running fine.
    >
    > That might be due to broadcasts unless you are pinging
    > the full name server.yourdomain.com. or whatever.
    >
    > > Problem I get is that when trying to join the domain is raise an error
    > that it can nor found the domain.
    >
    > This gives further evdicence that you have a DNS problem.
    > ....likely the CLIENT is misconfigured.
    >
    > > Then I run from the client command nslookup <my Server IP> 127.0.0.1 and
    > at that time DNS server fail to respond.
    >
    > And more evidence PERHAPS, but that nslookup command is a
    > REVERSE request and I bet you don't have the revere zone set
    > up -- and if you are running it from the CLIENT then this is
    > more evidence that you don't have DNS CLIENT side configured.
    >
    > Try this: nslookup ServerName.yourdomain.com server.IP.addr.ess
    >
    > (Put in the DNS server address as the last parameter.)
    >
    > If that works you server is fine.
    >
    > > DNS configuration is set with all default entries, and if I run the TEST
    > querry inside DNS it PASS all of them
    > > ON my client PC I am Administrator
    > >
    > > Do I have to add my XP machine inside my Domain Controler ?
    >
    > Not for DNS to work.
    >
    > But I bet you forgot to change the CLIENT NIC IP DNS server
    > properties to SOLELY the INTERNAL DNS server.
    >
    > You really need to do this on that DNS server too - servers are
    > DNS clients also.
    >
    > If you wish to resolve Internet names also, then use the the
    > Forwarding tab of the DNS server to put in the ISPs DNS
    > server address.
    >
    > > Do I have to set a particular account to be able to joind the domain?
    >
    > Admins always can do it, but normally so can users. This is
    > NOT your problem though (at least so far).
    >
    > > What did I miss here ?
    >
    > DNS client NIC settings.
    >
    > --
    > Herb Martin
    >

    > > Thnaks for your reply
    > > regards
    > > serge

    > What could I check more from server side ?
    > What do you mean by

    Read my other (first) post this thread.

    "serge calderara" <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:8B72BE73-696B-4763-8CDF-290344B9B69A@microsoft.com...
    > Some more information..
    >
    > When I ping my dns server with its full name instead of IP, ping is
    succesfull
    > From client side my Primary DNS server IP is automatically given my DHCP
    service unning on my server.

    > My server adress settings are:
    > IP: 192.168.1.20
    > Mask: 255.255.255.0
    > gateway: 198.168.1.1
    > DNS ip: itself (127.0.0.1)
    >
    > On my client Xp machine DHCP gives to my adapter card folowing parameters:
    >
    > IP : 192.168.1.2
    > Mask: 255.255.255.0
    > Gateway:192.168.1.1
    > DNS: 192.168.1.20

    Looks good.

    > ON both side Gateway adress is an ADSL modem router but I do not car about
    i for now.

    Right, that is irrelevant.

    > SO based on that I geus that the client is configure properly as there is
    nothing mucg I can set here except thos IP settings given by DHCP

    See my other post.

    You don't seem to have a problem now though.

    Ping by name works now, right?

    NSlookup probably works also....

    It might require the "full name" (as I said before) if you
    don't have the workstation's full domain name in the System
    control panel set correctly.

    > From DNS server side, the reverse zone is the default one that you can see
    when you select from View - Advanced

    --
    Herb Martin

> [...]
    > >
    > > If that works you server is fine.
    > >
    > > > DNS configuration is set with all default entries, and if I run the
    TEST
    > > querry inside DNS it PASS all of them
    > > > ON my client PC I am Administrator
    > > >
    > > > Do I have to add my XP machine inside my Domain Controler ?
    > >
    > > Not for DNS to work.
    > >
    > > But I bet you forgot to change the CLIENT NIC IP DNS server
    > > properties to SOLELY the INTERNAL DNS server.
    > >
    > > You really need to do this on that DNS server too - servers are
    > > DNS clients also.
    > >
    > > If you wish to resolve Internet names also, then use the the
    > > Forwarding tab of the DNS server to put in the ISPs DNS
    > > server address.
    > >
    > > > Do I have to set a particular account to be able to joind the domain?
    > >
    > > Admins always can do it, but normally so can users. This is
    > > NOT your problem though (at least so far).

    Even if the ping the full server name is working, the nslookup stiil fails...

    "Herb Martin" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > up -- and if you are running it from the CLIENT then this is
    > > > more evidence that you don't have DNS CLIENT side configured.
    > > >
    > > > Try this: nslookup ServerName.yourdomain.com server.IP.addr.ess
    > > >
    > > > (Put in the DNS server address as the last parameter.)
    > > >
    > > > If that works you server is fine.

    > TEST
    > > > querry inside DNS it PASS all of them

    > > > Not for DNS to work.
    > > >
    > > > But I bet you forgot to change the CLIENT NIC IP DNS server
    > > > properties to SOLELY the INTERNAL DNS server.
    > > >
    > > > You really need to do this on that DNS server too - servers are
    > > > DNS clients also.
    > > >
    > > > If you wish to resolve Internet names also, then use the the
    > > > Forwarding tab of the DNS server to put in the ISPs DNS
    > > > server address.

    > > > Admins always can do it, but normally so can users. This is
    > > > NOT your problem though (at least so far).

    In news:8B72BE73-696B-4763-8CDF-290344B9B69A@microsoft.com,
    serge calderara <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Some more information..
    >
    > When I ping my dns server with its full name instead of IP, ping is
    > succesfull
    > From client side my Primary DNS server IP is automatically given my
    > DHCP service unning on my server.
    >
    > My server adress settings are:
    > IP: 192.168.1.20
    > Mask: 255.255.255.0
    > gateway: 198.168.1.1
    > DNS ip: itself (127.0.0.1)

    Don't use the Loopback address for DNS, use the IP of the private interface
    192.168.1.20. Also, make sure you have a reverse lookup zone named
    1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.(Advanced view) or 192.168.1.x Subnet(Advanced View
    off) and allow dynamic updates on the zone.
    When creating a reverse lookup zone I find it less confusing to create the
    reverse lookup zone by name rather than by Network ID Your zone name would
    be "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa." though the Network ID is "192.168.1.x"

    > On my client Xp machine DHCP gives to my adapter card folowing
    > parameters:
    >
    > IP : 192.168.1.2
    > Mask: 255.255.255.0
    > Gateway:192.168.1.1
    > DNS: 192.168.1.20
    >
    > ON both side Gateway adress is an ADSL modem router but I do not car
    > about i for now.

    Your router would be the gateway for all machines, it is the way out.

    > SO based on that I geus that the client is configure properly as
    > there is nothing mucg I can set here except thos IP settings given by
    > DHCP
    >
    > From DNS server side, the reverse zone is the default one that you
    > can see when you select from View - Advanced

    Create the reverse lookup zone as per my previous recomendation.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    From what you say below I think maybe you are using nslookup incorrectly?

    To perform a query against your default DNS server use:

    nslookup foo.com

    To perform a query against an arbitrary DNS server (1.1.1.1) use:

    nslookup foo.com 1.1.1.1

    It's possible I am misunderstanding you.

    Also, make sure in the TCP/IP settings on your client that the only DNS
    server IP address listed is the IP address of your DC. You must not specify
    your ISP DNS servers on your client.

    "serge calderara" <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:141BD03F-D4C5-4859-BDC8-7491DE8DB6AF@microsoft.com...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000 server
    PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is confugure.
    > Domain name is home.net.
    >
    > Then I have a client PC running XP that I would like it to join that
    domain.
    > From the client I can ping succesfully the DNS server IP, and DHCP is
    running fine.

    > Problem I get is that when trying to join the domain is raise an error
    that it can nor found the domain.

    > Then I run from the client command nslookup <my Server IP> 127.0.0.1 and
    at that time DNS server fail to respond.

    > DNS configuration is set with all default entries, and if I run the TEST
    querry inside DNS it PASS all of them

    > ON my client PC I am Administrator
    >
    > Do I have to add my XP machine inside my Domain Controler ?
    > Do I have to set a particular account to be able to joind the domain?
    >
    > What did I miss here ?
    >
    > Thnaks for your reply
    > regards
    > serge
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    "serge calderara" <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:4F1EE410-61E3-4F0B-A91E-C8FF04503908@microsoft.com...
    > Even if the ping the full server name is working, the nslookup stiil
    fails...

    Be more specific please:

    The nslookup of the FULL name fails when
    the PING of the FULL name fails?

    If that is the case, then the DNS server is not resolving the name
    for the client, but rather the client is using one of the alternate
    methods (or a different DNS server if the first one is not answering
    at all):

    (client DNS cache)
    hosts file

    NetBIOS methods
    (NetBIOS cache/memory)
    Broadcast (same subnet only)
    WINS server
    LMHosts file

    The caches above are largely irrelevant since if that
    were the source of the resolution it would need to come
    originally from one of the other methods -- but do note that
    NSLookup does bypass the DNS resolver client side cache.

    --
    Herb Martin

> [...]
    > > > Mask: 255.255.255.0
    > > > gateway: 198.168.1.1
    > > > DNS ip: itself (127.0.0.1)
    > > >
    > > > On my client Xp machine DHCP gives to my adapter card folowing
    parameters:

    > > > IP : 192.168.1.2
    > > > Mask: 255.255.255.0
    > > > Gateway:192.168.1.1
    > > > DNS: 192.168.1.20
    > > >
    > > > ON both side Gateway adress is an ADSL modem router but I do not car
    about
    > > i for now.
    > > >
    > > > SO based on that I geus that the client is configure properly as there
    is
    > > nothing mucg I can set here except thos IP settings given by DHCP
    > > >
    > > > From DNS server side, the reverse zone is the default one that you can
    see
    > > when you select from View - Advanced
    > > >
    > > > What could I check more from server side ?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:141BD03F-D4C5-4859-BDC8-7491DE8DB6AF@microsoft.com,
    serge calderara in <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their
    thoughts, then I offered mine
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000
    > server PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is
    > confugure. Domain name is home.net.

    <snip>

    Can you give us an example of how you are using the nslookup command and the
    results so we can see exactly what you mean by DNS not answering your
    nslookup command? You can copy the result out of the cmd window into your
    response to my post.

    As for the other information, the others gave you good suggestions to handle
    them.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup so all
    can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --
    =================================
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Can you also tell us what errors you are receving in the Event viewer
    please? Post the Event ID #s please.

    Ace

    In news:141BD03F-D4C5-4859-BDC8-7491DE8DB6AF@microsoft.com,
    serge calderara in <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their
    thoughts, then I offered mine
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000
    > server PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is
    > confugure. Domain name is home.net.
    >
    > Then I have a client PC running XP that I would like it to join that
    > domain.
    > From the client I can ping succesfully the DNS server IP, and DHCP is
    > running fine.
    >
    > Problem I get is that when trying to join the domain is raise an
    > error that it can nor found the domain.
    >
    > Then I run from the client command nslookup <my Server IP> 127.0.0.1
    > and at that time DNS server fail to respond.
    >
    > DNS configuration is set with all default entries, and if I run the
    > TEST querry inside DNS it PASS all of them
    >
    > ON my client PC I am Administrator
    >
    > Do I have to add my XP machine inside my Domain Controler ?
    > Do I have to set a particular account to be able to joind the domain?
    >
    > What did I miss here ?
    >
    > Thnaks for your reply
    > regards
    > serge
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    I ham now able to register my XP machine to my Server Domain..
    It was coming from the fact that I have set my primary DNS IP from my server side to local IP , like 127.0.0.1.

    Accrodinmg to one post , it was recommended to place the IP adress of my server as DNS, so I place 192.168.1.20.

    But base on the nslookup I udes it as follow:

    nslookup 192.168.1.20, the result of the command is as follow :
    *** can'find server name for adress 192.168.1.20:non existant domain
    Server Unkown
    Adress: 192.168.1.20

    Name: WInd200Srvr.home.net
    Adrees:192.168.1.20

    SO for me its strage becasue it says first that doamain is non existant and after is able to retrieve DNS name at the end ?????

    Note.: In previous post it was suggest to add a reverse zone like 1.168.1. but with of without this revers e zone it is the same result.

    Sorry for those beginners questions but I am quite new in this server stuff

    thnaks for your answer
    regards
    serge

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:141BD03F-D4C5-4859-BDC8-7491DE8DB6AF@microsoft.com,
    > serge calderara in <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their
    > thoughts, then I offered mine
    > > Dear all,
    > >
    > > I have setup a test environement at home which is based on a W2000
    > > server PC setup as a domain controler. On that server DHCP and DNS is
    > > confugure. Domain name is home.net.
    > >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Can you give us an example of how you are using the nslookup command and the
    > results so we can see exactly what you mean by DNS not answering your
    > nslookup command? You can copy the result out of the cmd window into your
    > response to my post.
    >
    > As for the other information, the others gave you good suggestions to handle
    > them.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace
    >
    > Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup so all
    > can benefit.
    > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    > rights.
    >
    > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    >
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    > pig. --
    > =================================

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:236FAD44-592C-4D7B-97C6-48EF481B1FA6@microsoft.com,
    serge calderara <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > nslookup 192.168.1.20, the result of the command is as follow :
    > *** can'find server name for adress 192.168.1.20:non existant domain
    > Server Unkown
    > Adress: 192.168.1.20
    >
    > Name: WInd200Srvr.home.net
    > Adrees:192.168.1.20
    >
    > SO for me its strage becasue it says first that doamain is non
    > existant and after is able to retrieve DNS name at the end ?????
    >
    > Note.: In previous post it was suggest to add a reverse zone like
    > 1.168.1. but with of without this revers e zone it is the same
    > result.

    I suggested you create a reverse lookup zone but, not with that name, the
    zone you created will not work. Recreate the zone with this name:
    1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
    or this Network ID:
    192.168.1

    Set it to allow dynamic updates or create the PTRs for the machines you want
    in the Reverse lookup.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ============================
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:236FAD44-592C-4D7B-97C6-48EF481B1FA6@microsoft.com,
    serge calderara in <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their
    thoughts, then I offered mine
    > I ham now able to register my XP machine to my Server Domain..
    > It was coming from the fact that I have set my primary DNS IP from my
    > server side to local IP , like 127.0.0.1.
    >
    > Accrodinmg to one post , it was recommended to place the IP adress of
    > my server as DNS, so I place 192.168.1.20.
    >
    > But base on the nslookup I udes it as follow:
    >
    > nslookup 192.168.1.20, the result of the command is as follow :
    > *** can'find server name for adress 192.168.1.20:non existant domain
    > Server Unkown
    > Adress: 192.168.1.20
    >
    > Name: WInd200Srvr.home.net
    > Adrees:192.168.1.20
    >
    > SO for me its strage becasue it says first that doamain is non
    > existant and after is able to retrieve DNS name at the end ?????
    >
    > Note.: In previous post it was suggest to add a reverse zone like
    > 1.168.1. but with of without this revers e zone it is the same
    > result.
    >
    > Sorry for those beginners questions but I am quite new in this server
    > stuff
    >
    > thnaks for your answer
    > regards
    > serge

    To eliminate the nslookup message, create a reverse zone.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup so all
    can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --

Domain DNS Server Command Prompt DNS Windows