  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 1, 2004 11:35:28 AM

Ok I have a subdomain foo.blah.com for example. I want all possible
subdomains of that (abc.foo.blah.com, xyz.foo.blah.com,
123.foo.blah.com, etc) to point to a certain IP. All the other
subdomains of blah.com, however, might point to different addresses.
Is there a way of doing this without making foo.blah.com a foward
lookup zone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mac

More about : wildcard subdomains subdomain

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:30:40 PM

In news:97f35bb5.0407010635.3415217c@posting.google.com,
Mac <mac@macmorgan.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Ok I have a subdomain foo.blah.com for example. I want all possible
> subdomains of that (abc.foo.blah.com, xyz.foo.blah.com,
> 123.foo.blah.com, etc) to point to a certain IP. All the other
> subdomains of blah.com, however, might point to different addresses.
> Is there a way of doing this without making foo.blah.com a foward
> lookup zone.

You can do this, as long as foo.blah.com is _NOT_ your Active Directory
domain name, if it is your Active Directory domain, do not attempt this,
wildcard records cause serious problems with Active Directory which IMO is
why Microsoft makes it difficult.

In the foo.blah.com forward lookup zone, right click select new domain, name
the domain with a * , in that sub domain create a new host, leave the name
field blank and give it the IP address you want it to resolve to. Click OK
to create the record anyway when it barks at you saying (same as parent
folder) is not a valid host name.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]