Wildcard Subdomains of a Subdomain

Ok I have a subdomain foo.blah.com for example. I want all possible
subdomains of that (abc.foo.blah.com, xyz.foo.blah.com,
123.foo.blah.com, etc) to point to a certain IP. All the other
subdomains of blah.com, however, might point to different addresses.
Is there a way of doing this without making foo.blah.com a foward
lookup zone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mac
1 answer Last reply
More about wildcard subdomains subdomain

    In news:97f35bb5.0407010635.3415217c@posting.google.com,
    Mac <mac@macmorgan.com> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Ok I have a subdomain foo.blah.com for example. I want all possible
    > subdomains of that (abc.foo.blah.com, xyz.foo.blah.com,
    > 123.foo.blah.com, etc) to point to a certain IP. All the other
    > subdomains of blah.com, however, might point to different addresses.
    > Is there a way of doing this without making foo.blah.com a foward
    > lookup zone.

    You can do this, as long as foo.blah.com is _NOT_ your Active Directory
    domain name, if it is your Active Directory domain, do not attempt this,
    wildcard records cause serious problems with Active Directory which IMO is
    why Microsoft makes it difficult.

    In the foo.blah.com forward lookup zone, right click select new domain, name
    the domain with a * , in that sub domain create a new host, leave the name
    field blank and give it the IP address you want it to resolve to. Click OK
    to create the record anyway when it barks at you saying (same as parent
    folder) is not a valid host name.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]