Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My head is spinning on mobos, I need help choosing

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 12, 2006 4:41:05 PM

I was going to go with the Gigabyte DS3 mobo but I was also searching for one that is better. What most attracted me was the combo deal for the DS3 and the e6300. I know the most expensive mobos arent usually the best. I did a comparison of several mobos but need some advice. Im strictly going to build a gaming machine and I want to get the most bang for my bucks. I'm not interested in overclocking. Is crossfire or SLI a must have. At first I didnt want it but im confused. Is there a good mobi without SLI/Crossfire? Should I get a good video card or great mobo. I would think great mobo because its the brain of the whole thing. Should I go with 965 or 975 (is the 975 newer)? Please look at the link of the comparisons and tell me what you think is the best. You can definatly pick a mobo that is not on my comparison list. Ive been picking and choosing for 2 weeks and want to start building (my first build). If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. My head is spinning so much Im about to give up and go to AMD.

link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare.asp?Compar...

*My budget is between $1000-$1300 ( i have a wedding to pay for) but I will adjust it if it means getting a stable mobo and/or gpu that doesnt cause bottlenecks.

More about : head spinning mobos choosing

August 12, 2006 4:44:10 PM

i'm in the same boat and i've narrowed it down to these:
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 or Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (difference ???? anyone???)
ASUS P5B Socket T
MSI 975X Platinum Socket T (this is the only board i'd spend for over 200 bucks for - not for sli but because the features look impressive)

my post is here:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/decide-motherboard-picked-cpu-ftopict195699.html

i really like the gigabyte s3 but don't know much of its quality and why its SOOO cheap. =/
a c 159 à CPUs
August 12, 2006 6:11:21 PM

Msi has a new 965p-neo f ($96.99 at newegg) that you might look at. I've had good luck overclocking with msi boards.
Related resources
August 12, 2006 7:01:30 PM

don't want nforce

Quote:
Wait for the nforce5 :idea:
August 12, 2006 7:39:47 PM

I've heard some bad things about DS3, but if you're not at all interested in overclocking, then perhaps the plain old boring intel board would be good for you, its pretty cheap at 110 and has enough stuff to make you happy. I'd go with this and e6300 and blowing my load on a nice graphics card for gaming.
August 12, 2006 9:13:56 PM

what about an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe?? ;)  i have one, they're great.
August 13, 2006 7:10:24 AM

Whats a good mobo that a good bang for bucks with an x1900 video card and a e6300 and sometime in a year or later id upgrade the conroe.
August 13, 2006 3:09:49 PM

Whats a good gaming board? Im not going to overclock because Ive never done that before and this is my first build.
August 13, 2006 4:24:02 PM

Are any of these boards recommded. I dont plan on doing a raid setup or overclocking.


*MSI 975 Platinum
*DFI Infinity 975
* Asus P5b
*Gigabyte DS3
August 13, 2006 4:51:28 PM

Quote:
Are any of these boards recommded. I dont plan on doing a raid setup or overclocking.


*MSI 975 Platinum
*DFI Infinity 975
* Asus P5b
*Gigabyte DS3


I am in the same boat and I like the MSI board.
August 13, 2006 5:00:29 PM

Quote:
Whats a good gaming board? Im not going to overclock because Ive never done that before and this is my first build.


Gosh .. in that case, forget about Asus P5WDH or any other expensive boards for that matter as they are really for the overclockers.

A good gaming board is the one with SLI/CrossFire but ... since you don't want that either , then I guess this fella pretty much has the gist of it .....

Quote:
I've heard some bad things about DS3, but if you're not at all interested in overclocking, then perhaps the plain old boring intel board would be good for you, its pretty cheap at 110 and has enough stuff to make you happy. I'd go with this and e6300 and blowing my load on a nice graphics card for gaming.
August 13, 2006 5:08:03 PM

I bought a ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T - it has the ports i need. Com and firewire.

Quote:
what about an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe?? ;)  i have one, they're great.
August 13, 2006 5:09:43 PM

the msi board i've read an entire thread on it that was 15 pages long and i guess it has some serious BIOS issues. So i opted out on that and bought ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T instead. I like the heatsink to keep it cool and the com and firewire ports i need.

Quote:
Are any of these boards recommded. I dont plan on doing a raid setup or overclocking.


*MSI 975 Platinum
*DFI Infinity 975
* Asus P5b
*Gigabyte DS3


I am in the same boat and I like the MSI board.
August 13, 2006 5:11:23 PM

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110054&page=14 here is the link on the forum about that msi board. pretty buggy bios.

20 bucks more you can get an asus. I've had really good luck with asus boards.

Quote:
Are any of these boards recommded. I dont plan on doing a raid setup or overclocking.


*MSI 975 Platinum
*DFI Infinity 975
* Asus P5b
*Gigabyte DS3


I am in the same boat and I like the MSI board.
August 14, 2006 5:45:12 AM

I made a comparison of boards on newegg. If the MSi board is having issues, I took it off the comparison. Is the Aus deluxe board SLI/Crossfire? If the crossfire/SLi boards are gaming rigged, which one is good? Can I use just one card and later on---tack on another? Is SLI/Crossfire worth it or I can get ONE great card? I want to make sure I get the right mobo that I can stick with for a while, while I gradually (slowly) go up the conroe ladder. Im starting at e6300 for now. Anyway from the link, which one would you recommend? Do you have any other, other than the ones in my comparison? Whats a good SLI/Crossfire board (I like radeons so I guess crossfire) Whats a good non crossfire board. Thank you
August 14, 2006 9:44:01 AM

Try GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS4. The 965 is newer. Naturally, you can use just one video card and later add another.
August 14, 2006 2:49:05 PM

Quote:
Try GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS4. The 965 is newer. Naturally, you can use just one video card and later add another.


You can't do SLI or crossfire on a 965 board without having to go for non-official drivers. Considering this guy is not really that technical. effing around with unofficial drivers is possibly not up his avenue. As for Crossfire/SLI vs a single card. You're probably best off with one decent card unless you've got money to burn.

If the guy isn't going to do anything fancy maybe he's best off with an Intel 965 board or a board that is stable and won't cause too many issues. Or if he's got a bit of money he should just buy a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe and still have the option of Crossfire in the future :) 
August 14, 2006 3:34:08 PM

I wouldn't bother getting SLI unless your really gung ho.
I'd just get a 7600GT for now.
Then a next gen w/ DX 10 in a year or so.
=)
August 14, 2006 5:25:14 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't bother getting SLI unless your really gung ho.
I'd just get a 7600GT for now.
Then a next gen w/ DX 10 in a year or so.
=)


This is good advice. And its not the DX10 I'm reffering to ..... its the next-gen chips that are just around the corner.

Add that to the fact that cards with DX10 support can play DX10 games faster than a card without DX10 support .... even IF their hardware specs are "exactly" the same.

Just go easy for now I think. Or at least not ALL-OUT.
August 14, 2006 6:05:43 PM

too my knowledge the p5b deluxe/wifi the board i bought supports crossfire. I heard it can do SLI also but the second port gets reduced to 4x speed.

You don't need a graphics card in the second port.

there is a non dual pci-e 16x board from asus called the p5b.

good luck!

Quote:
I made a comparison of boards on newegg. If the MSi board is having issues, I took it off the comparison. Is the Aus deluxe board SLI/Crossfire? If the crossfire/SLi boards are gaming rigged, which one is good? Can I use just one card and later on---tack on another? Is SLI/Crossfire worth it or I can get ONE great card? I want to make sure I get the right mobo that I can stick with for a while, while I gradually (slowly) go up the conroe ladder. Im starting at e6300 for now. Anyway from the link, which one would you recommend? Do you have any other, other than the ones in my comparison? Whats a good SLI/Crossfire board (I like radeons so I guess crossfire) Whats a good non crossfire board. Thank you
August 14, 2006 7:56:54 PM

I was thinking of going with the Gigabyte DS3 for now and get a x1900.

Is OCZ gold edition ddr2-667 1gb of ram good for this mobo? It says on newegg the voltage is 1.8 volts. I heard more than the 1.8v gives problems.

Going with the DS3 I think would make it easier for me to channel the bulk of my bucks for the x1900.

is the raptor HD worth it. i was going to get a 250GB Sata (3.5)
August 14, 2006 8:01:07 PM

no do not get OCZ - i've heard tons of stories about that ram not working on the 965 chipsets.

Corsair is a good brandname and thats what i got.

Quote:
I was thinking of going with the Gigabyte DS3 for now and get a x1900.

Is OCZ gold edition ddr2-667 1gb of ram good for this mobo? It says on newegg the voltage is 1.8 volts. I heard more than the 1.8v gives problems.

Going with the DS3 I think would make it easier for me to channel the bulk of my bucks for the x1900.

is the raptor HD worth it. i was going to get a 250GB Sata (3.5)
August 14, 2006 9:40:54 PM

Sorry dude, but inserting two graphics cards into a P5B/Deluxe will cause a boot failure :cry: 
a c 480 à CPUs
August 14, 2006 11:59:31 PM

Quote:

Or he could run a single 7950GX2 in SLI without needing special works.
Then again the X1900XT price cut now at $320> is the better way to go.


I too would recommend a X1900XT. Crossfire/SLI is a waste unless you are talking about gaming at 1600x1200 resolution. The money saved on going for a single card solutuion can be used to buy other parts or more importantly, the wedding.
August 15, 2006 7:11:53 AM

I agree with you except one thing - issues caused by GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS4. I didn't see a review of this motherboard. I know that only DS3 has problems. There are two crucial differences between DS4 and DS3 :
1. DS4 has 6 phase power design while DS3 has only 3 ("big brother" DQ6 has 12 phase power design).
2. DS4 has a heat-pipe thermal cooling solution that cools the chipset and, more important, voltage regulators.
Therefore, these two differences will improve the DS4 voltage stability.

I think DS4 will behave almost like his "brother" DQ6. I know that DQ6 received very good reviews.
!