changing the name of the dns domain controller?

Hi this is my problem:
I was previously unable to boot up my win 2000 clients
properly, because there were no static ip addresses set on
the server....and it got hung up trying to connect to the
domain. To solve this problem...we gave the server a
static IP address, and on the client we set the preffered
dns to the ip of the server, and everything worked out
just fine.
Now the problem: the domain name on our local server is
for example: advsigns.com
and our website which is located outside of our network
stored on a hosts server which we pay for hosting is ALSO
called advsigns.com (www.advsigns.com)
So now when i try to access the website from one of the
windows 2000 clients via internet explorer...it doesnt
connect to the site...I think since it has the same name
as the server which it authenticates into..it is getting
confused and doesnt leave our internal network!
So what can i do? do i change the name of the dns on our
local server to a different name than our website? if
so..is there an easy way to do this? i.e. simply changing
the name in the dns under administrative tools on the
server? or do i need to use dcpromo to first demote the
server and remove the dns and then make a brand new one
and promote it?? is this trickey?..i neer used dcpromo
before... or can i just simply change the name
somewhere..if so where and how??
Please help!!
thank you,
---daniel
6 answers Last reply
More about changing domain controller

    You cannot change you local domain name and that is not needed. Just create
    a new A record and call it www in your local DNS server and give it the real
    Internet IP address. This is a very common problem when people name thier
    internal domain name the same as thier real internet name. Best practice is
    to make your Internal name different but there is not a lot you can do about
    it now but it should be fine.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "daniel" <advsigns@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Hi this is my problem:
    > I was previously unable to boot up my win 2000 clients
    > properly, because there were no static ip addresses set on
    > the server....and it got hung up trying to connect to the
    > domain. To solve this problem...we gave the server a
    > static IP address, and on the client we set the preffered
    > dns to the ip of the server, and everything worked out
    > just fine.
    > Now the problem: the domain name on our local server is
    > for example: advsigns.com
    > and our website which is located outside of our network
    > stored on a hosts server which we pay for hosting is ALSO
    > called advsigns.com (www.advsigns.com)
    > So now when i try to access the website from one of the
    > windows 2000 clients via internet explorer...it doesnt
    > connect to the site...I think since it has the same name
    > as the server which it authenticates into..it is getting
    > confused and doesnt leave our internal network!
    > So what can i do? do i change the name of the dns on our
    > local server to a different name than our website? if
    > so..is there an easy way to do this? i.e. simply changing
    > the name in the dns under administrative tools on the
    > server? or do i need to use dcpromo to first demote the
    > server and remove the dns and then make a brand new one
    > and promote it?? is this trickey?..i neer used dcpromo
    > before... or can i just simply change the name
    > somewhere..if so where and how??
    > Please help!!
    > thank you,
    > ---daniel

    ok...so how do i find out the ip #'s for the website?? or
    do i type in the actual name not numbers?

    I called my web host and he said there is not 1 ip address
    dedicated for my site...rather it manages over 250
    different sites..so what do you think i should do in this
    case?
    thank you,
    --daniel

    In news:243fa01c45fa2$58af4a40$a601280a@phx.gbl,
    daniel <advsigns@optonline.net> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I called my web host and he said there is not 1 ip address
    > dedicated for my site...rather it manages over 250
    > different sites..so what do you think i should do in this
    > case?

    Here is your IP address.
    QUESTION SECTION:

    www.advsigns.com. IN A

    ANSWER SECTION:

    www.advsigns.com. 903 IN A 216.226.136.240

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    how did you find out this info? i would love to know..so i
    can check some other sites.thanks alot
    ---daniel

    your
    >newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    issue.
    >To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    email.
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    >Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
    >It will strip signature out and more
    >Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
    >OEBackup:
    >

    >.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:2444e01c45fa5$148cc970$a601280a@phx.gbl,
    daniel <advsigns@optonline.net> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > how did you find out this info? i would love to know..so i
    > can check some other sites.thanks alot
    > ---daniel

    I used Netdig (created by William Stacey) available from www.mvptools.com it
    has a Windows version that runs in a GUI. Nslookup ships with Win2k XP and
    Win2k3 runs in a command line, it has a few little bugs in it but it will
    work.
    Here is a sample using nslookup:
    W:\>nslookup
    Default Server: kjweb.lsaol.com
    Address: 192.168.0.2

    > server 151.164.1.8
    Default Server: dns1.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net
    Address: 151.164.1.8

    > www.advsigns.com.
    Server: dns1.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net
    Address: 151.164.1.8

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.advsigns.com
    Address: 216.226.136.240

    Netdig is my tool of choice because you can create a shortcut on your
    desktop you just click on.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:

Domain Controller DNS Servers Windows