Converting LP's to cd's using PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I would like to help my father convert his LP's over to cd's so he can listen to them in his vehicle. I am thinking the easiest/best to do this would be to use optical. The problem is that my Audigy 2ZS card does not have optical of course. I was wondering if anyone knows if that coaxial/optical IO modul that Creative sells will work with my card. Its not advertised as being compatible with my card but maybe someone knows for sure if it will work. If not, is there any other option to get optical on this card?
Thanks in advance guys

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
alright, that is good to know that the line is works good for this purpose. I just didn't know if the quality would be all that good and thats why I wanted to use optical.

halcyon

Splendid
I would like to help my father convert his LP's over to cd's so he can listen to them in his vehicle. I am thinking the easiest/best to do this would be to use optical. The problem is that my Audigy 2ZS card does not have optical of course. I was wondering if anyone knows if that coaxial/optical IO modul that Creative sells will work with my card. Its not advertised as being compatible with my card but maybe someone knows for sure if it will work. If not, is there any other option to get optical on this card?
Thanks in advance guys

I have module, but Creative doesn't show it working with the 2ZS, per http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=1780#

...however, they didn't list it as working with my SoundBlaster Live! either, and I'm listening through them both right now. I have a feeling it work work just fine, but I can't say for sure.

Edit: The 2ZS does not support digital input, if you look at the card itself you'll see this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=29%2D102%2D178%2D05%2Ejpg%2C29%2D102%2D178%2D02%2Ejpg%2C29%2D102%2D178%2D03%2Ejpg%2C29%2D102%2D178%2D04%2Ejpg&CurImage=29%2D102%2D178%2D05%2Ejpg&Description=Creative+Sound+Blaster+Audigy2+ZS+SB0350+7%2E1+Channels+PCI+Interface+Sound+Card+%2D+OEM

Edit 2: I thought everyone said the SoundBlasters didn't pass-through multi-channel digital signals (DTS, DD). ...this says differently... http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=1780#

...perhaps I misunderstood what everyone had said.

xiii

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
From my experience I would say the RCA outs that most LP's use would be enough for recording, if you used an RCA to stereo adapter to plug into the Line In of your sound card. It will be a tedious experience though, from the software point of view :?

halcyon

Splendid
From my experience I would say the RCA outs that most LP's use would be enough for recording, if you used an RCA to stereo adapter to plug into the Line In of your sound card. It will be a tedious experience though, from the software point of view :?

I did this with a lot of Minidiscs a couple of years back. You may find it easier to use a USB interface (though that requires gear you may not already possess). I used an Edirol UA-101 and Peak LE (Mac), It was actually fun and I got some good quality recordings with high levels out of the process. But yes, tedious it was. You may also want to consider this: http://www.adstech.com/products/RDX-150/intro/RDX-150_intro1.asp?pid=RDX-150
I have one and it provides a lot of utility with both RCA analog I/O and S/PDIF Optical I/O. ...~$50.

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
First off,,, to do this correctly you need to put a preamp with RIAA decoding between the turntable & the sound card line input.

This is necessary because all recordings to vinyl since 1958 have been encoded in some form or another primiraly "RIAA".
This standard/encoding circuit, reduced the bass by 20db & increased the treble by 20db with the midrange being almost untouched.
The RIAA preamp will reverse the process to to make it "RIGHT" at the line out level of its output. You then connect this to the line in of your sound card.
You can use additional software & plugins to do some serious magic to the recordings if you have the time.

PS: I have digitally re-mastered more than 15,000 songs over the past 11 yrs.
if you want to hear some of them you can go to shoutcast & in the search box type "BESS FM & click tune in

tparker1

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I have recorded by putting LP's to harddrive via Stereo hooked through M-Audio Soundcard which is the best soundcard I have ever had.

A Capture card can do it also just need a RCA In and that can be modified
by getting the right cable from Radio Shack just make sure it is Stereo.

Capture the LP to a folder and burn with favorite software ,My Capture card came with Pinnacle but Roxio 8,Adobe,Nero will all work.My Soundcard was made for recording so that gives me extra options I have tried all of them and they will surprise You with the Quality.Roxio has a feature where you can take out any Hiss or pops from worn LP.

Another excellent piece of software is Cool Edit Pro which has been bought out I still have 2000 version.Just don't forget to make separate tracks.

Brighteyes

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I am about to move my LPs to CD. It is over three yrs since the last post. I was wondering what people think the best soundcard for this is now.
Thanks, Jonathan

adventist54

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

I just saw your article..i myself have hundreds of LP's and am using my usb turntable the kids got me several years ago...i am putting them in my pc so i can grab a mp3 player of choice ...and i will try to load them on cd's also.. tell me wht he plans to do with his lps..i have been trying to rid myself of all mine and and am not having any success ...

FlawlessApe

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I've recorded LP's to my pc quite a few times. I think you would be better off keeping everything analog up to your pc to keep things sounding natural. (ie use the line input on your sound card). You can then record it with a program like audacity. If you want higher sound quality I would suggest using a higher-end turntable to record it, as that is the source of your sound. Also, if the record is in poor shape it is not going to sound good regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.