Are BCI-3e CYM & BCI-6 CYM inks marketing ploy?

IMHO, the widely used color inks for Canon inkjet printers are BCI-3e CYM
and BCI-6 CYM.
My old two Canon printers (S540 and i950) used one of these each.
I understand that there is indeed a difference between BCI 3e BK (pigment)
and BCI 6BK (dye) ink.
My gut feeling is that both (BCI-6 adn BCI-3e color inks) are the same with
different product names except for black inks.
So it must be just a marketing ploy to sell Canon's ink carts (to suppress
third party inks). . What do you think? Satoshi
9 answers Last reply
More about inks marketing ploy

    > My gut feeling is that both (BCI-6 adn BCI-3e color inks) are the same with
    > different product names except for black inks.

    I'm not as up on my Canon history as others, but before the BCI-3e was
    the BCI-3 inks 2001ish? I bought an HP at about that time and wasn't
    interested in canon. They changed the ink formula. I'm told older
    printers could take the new ink, but new printers couldn't take the old
    ink. I've heard the thing thing regarding using the BCI-3e inks in
    place of the BCI-6e. I know jack squat about the new bci-7 series
    which isn't available in america which has totally different claims on
    life.

    I'd have to dig through too much canon marketing to find out the names
    of each respective ink. It i'm sure is in part marketing who wants an
    excuse to push new models, but they are indeed different products.

    I'll leave the whys to others, but yes, the 3e and 6e color inks are
    interchangeable. Personally, I consider this a big advantage.

    "Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > IMHO, the widely used color inks for Canon inkjet printers are BCI-3e CYM
    > and BCI-6 CYM.
    > My old two Canon printers (S540 and i950) used one of these each.
    > I understand that there is indeed a difference between BCI 3e BK
    (pigment)
    > and BCI 6BK (dye) ink.
    > My gut feeling is that both (BCI-6 adn BCI-3e color inks) are the same
    with
    > different product names except for black inks.
    > So it must be just a marketing ploy to sell Canon's ink carts (to suppress
    > third party inks). . What do you think? Satoshi

    > People like you help sell 3rd party ink carts more than anyone else I've
    > ever run into.

    This is fair comment. I would never know about i-ink had someone not
    posted so much calling them i-stink. And come to think about it, all in
    threads having nothing to do with 3rd party ink resellers. For the
    life of me I can't remember their actual name, but i-stink/i-ink is now
    branded in my brain for life.

    Satoshi wrote:

    >IMHO, the widely used color inks for Canon inkjet printers are BCI-3e CYM
    >and BCI-6 CYM.
    >My old two Canon printers (S540 and i950) used one of these each.
    >I understand that there is indeed a difference between BCI 3e BK (pigment)
    >and BCI 6BK (dye) ink.
    >My gut feeling is that both (BCI-6 adn BCI-3e color inks) are the same with
    >different product names except for black inks.
    >So it must be just a marketing ploy to sell Canon's ink carts (to suppress
    >third party inks). . What do you think? Satoshi

    Canon does not need to do anything to supress 3rd party inks. The
    whores that sell them are doing a good enough job by themselves.

    measekite wrote:

    > Canon does not need to do anything to supress 3rd party inks. The
    > whores that sell them are doing a good enough job by themselves.

    People like you help sell 3rd party ink carts more than anyone else I've
    ever run into.
    Great job!
    Thanks.
    Frank

    Dan G wrote:

    >I'll leave the whys to others, but yes, the 3e and 6e color inks are
    >interchangeable. Personally, I consider this a big advantage.

    Never heard of any 6e inks. The IP4/5000 takes BCI6 inks except the the
    pigmented black BCI3-eBK

    Frank wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >

    >> Canon does not need to do anything to supress 3rd party inks. The
    >> whores that sell them are doing a good enough job by themselves.
    >>

    > People like me help sell 3rd party ink carts more than anyone else
    > I've ever run into.
    > Great job! Thanks.
    > Frank

    Thanks Dan....this solved my problem. I have an old Canon that I hadn't
    used for a while and I recently bought new ink for it. (spent $52 on
    the 3e series) Come to find out, my printer is bad and with the amount
    of money I spent on ink, I could have used it towards buying a whole
    new printer since printers are so cheap these days. Well come to find
    out again, they dont sell printers anymore that take the old ink
    cartridges (3e). If they are interchangeable, then I 'll go ahead and
    buy a new printer and use the old ink cartridges in them initially.

    Dan G wrote:
    > I'll leave the whys to others, but yes, the 3e and 6e color inks are
    > interchangeable. Personally, I consider this a big advantage.
    >

    > "Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > IMHO, the widely used color inks for Canon inkjet printers are BCI-3e CYM
    > > and BCI-6 CYM.
    > > My old two Canon printers (S540 and i950) used one of these each.
    > > I understand that there is indeed a difference between BCI 3e BK
    > (pigment)
    > > and BCI 6BK (dye) ink.
    > > My gut feeling is that both (BCI-6 adn BCI-3e color inks) are the same
    > with
    > > different product names except for black inks.
    > > So it must be just a marketing ploy to sell Canon's ink carts (to suppress
    > > third party inks). . What do you think? Satoshi

  9. :D So I am a buyer for a stationary store in california, unfortunately we need to stock canon cartridges. I can not get a straight answer from them. They claim that they are not interchangeable and that they are vastly different, and to interchange them would be hazardous to your machine. I think this is a load of crap. They list the contents on the side of the boxes. I am now holding them side by side and they list the exact same thing. The Bci3e bk and the BCI6bk are actually different, but the colors, same. The list prices for the bci6 costs more then the bci3e. FYI just to show you the greed. We pay $12.00 and the set list price is $12.99. Give me a break Canon. I would go with the off brands. I printed my wedding pictures with off brands and they are just fine.

Printers Marketing Canon Peripherals