public proxy question

If I use a public proxy to change my IP address, does it interfere with -

1. My Outlook Express e-mail

2. Kazaa

3. Friends who view my current IP address for file sharing

4. How easy is it to return to the cable IP address I have now or to
'switch' the proxy IP on and off.

I don't want to try something that is irreversible or creates a problem.

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about public proxy question

    Freddo wrote:
    > If I use a public proxy to change my IP address, does it interfere with -
    >
    > 1. My Outlook Express e-mail
    >
    > 2. Kazaa
    >
    > 3. Friends who view my current IP address for file sharing
    >
    > 4. How easy is it to return to the cable IP address I have now or to
    > 'switch' the proxy IP on and off.
    >
    > I don't want to try something that is irreversible or creates a problem.
    >
    > Thanks.

    A public proxy doesn't change your IP address.

    All you do is set up that proxy in your Internet settings. Now, whenever
    you surf (or any program that uses your Internet settings), your request
    for www.yahoo.com, for example, will go to the proxy. The proxy changes
    your real IP address to its own, then performs your request. When the
    reply comes back (from www.yahoo.com, for example), that proxy swaps its
    IP address back to yours, then sends the request back to you.

    Note that the public proxy will only work if you make the original
    request. (However, there are some out there that do match one of their
    IP addresses with yours--but that kills the whole purpose of the proxy
    in the first place.)

    Unless you use an outside source for your email (i.e., not your ISPs) it
    won't work for mail. It also won't work for most online games that don't
    use proxy information.

    Switching on or off is easier than you might imagine. Since your IP
    address doesn't really change (just your proxy does). You can simply
    turn it off in your Internet settings. No reboot is required.

    Surprisingly, public proxies are not as anonymous as you may think.

    courtney sends....

    "Courtney" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:KCbcd.73942$tU4.68165@okepread06...
    > Freddo wrote:
    >> If I use a public proxy to change my IP address, does it interfere with -
    >>
    >> 1. My Outlook Express e-mail
    >>
    >> 2. Kazaa
    >>
    >> 3. Friends who view my current IP address for file sharing
    >>
    >> 4. How easy is it to return to the cable IP address I have now or to
    >> 'switch' the proxy IP on and off.
    >>
    >> I don't want to try something that is irreversible or creates a problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > A public proxy doesn't change your IP address.
    >
    > All you do is set up that proxy in your Internet settings. Now, whenever
    > you surf (or any program that uses your Internet settings), your request
    > for www.yahoo.com, for example, will go to the proxy. The proxy changes
    > your real IP address to its own, then performs your request. When the
    > reply comes back (from www.yahoo.com, for example), that proxy swaps its
    > IP address back to yours, then sends the request back to you.
    >
    > Note that the public proxy will only work if you make the original
    > request. (However, there are some out there that do match one of their IP
    > addresses with yours--but that kills the whole purpose of the proxy in the
    > first place.)
    >
    > Unless you use an outside source for your email (i.e., not your ISPs) it
    > won't work for mail. It also won't work for most online games that don't
    > use proxy information.
    >
    > Switching on or off is easier than you might imagine. Since your IP
    > address doesn't really change (just your proxy does). You can simply turn
    > it off in your Internet settings. No reboot is required.
    >
    > Surprisingly, public proxies are not as anonymous as you may think.
    >
    > courtney sends....

    Thanks courtney,
    So if I look at a proxy list such as at
    http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/proxy_list
    where do I go from there? How do I use one in the list? Where in IE do I
    enter it and switch it on and off?

IP Address Proxy Windows XP