How to add a second address ip to a domain with nslookup o..

Hello,

I would like to insert in my DNS Server a second IP address in case if the
first server crashes or shutdown for maintenance. I know that we should use
nslookup and use something with the priorities. Could someone help me or
give me an example to create it?

Many thanks :)

David.

"PoY-" <poypoy99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like to insert in my DNS Server a second IP address in case if the
> first server crashes or shutdown for maintenance.

You can't really do this -- especially with DNS.

First you cannot run but one "copy" of MS DNS server on the
same machine, and if you did run "another DNS" server then
your clients would never find it since they ALL use the default
port for DNS lookups.

> I know that we should use
> nslookup and use something with the priorities.

No, that isn't right either. You use NSLookup MERELY for testing
or inspecting the results obtained from name servers.

NSLookup is not a management or configuration tool.

And the only general priorities in DNS are the ordering of the
entries on the client, or forwarding tabs.

> Could someone help me or
> give me an example to create it?

Perhaps you mean to install another DNS server (on a different
machine), make it a secondary (or equivalent) of the Primary
DNS server you now have, and put both entries in the CLIENT
NIC IP settings?

--
Herb Martin